NCO sword

Hello my friends,  I bought two officers swords at the big Australian auction recently, the one  discussed in the selling and auction section here. While I am waiting for the swords to turn up I have been reading everything I can on your amazing forum, I have read that the NCO swords are often faked. I bought this sword years ago and would like to know your thoughts on its authenticity 

All the best 

Paul 20220303_102835.thumb.jpg.15d74ca79bc4c50a5a2d84cca89cb9fb.jpg20220303_103022.thumb.jpg.09b0a9ed9944a70f1c8c5b79c717d10a.jpg

20220303_103013.jpg

20220303_102941.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Paul!  This seems to be the norm.  All (dare I say "all"?!) of them look like they've seen wear and tear BEFORE they were painted black.  And the black has age and wear of it's own.  There's just too many of these, and they all look war-era aged, to be post-war Bubba jobs. 

Thanks for the photos.  I'll link this on the Type 95 Black Saya thread.

• Love 1

42 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Thanks Paul!  This seems to be the norm.  All (dare I say "all"?!) of them look like they've seen wear and tear BEFORE they were painted black.  And the black has age and wear of it's own.  There's just too many of these, and they all look war-era aged, to be post-war Bubba jobs. 

Thanks for the photos.  I'll link this on the Type 95 Black Saya thread.

That is good to hear, thanks Bruce.  Is there anything to see under the handle ?  or should I not mess with it  ! Cheers 

Hi Paul,

You have a nice genuine  example of a Type95 sword.

Looking at the scabbard throat, it looks like this one has had 2 repaints in it's service life.

A dark jungle green was applied over the original brown, then it looks like this was removed and repainted with the black.

If you are interested in this model, you can get some general info Here, or if you got heaps of time and want more in depth info , try Here.

As you've also got some Officer swords, this is a good site too.

00.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Nothing to see in tang under the handle Paul so best leave it as is. You may, or may not, see a very small 'W' stamp but nothing else.  Never signed like most officer blades are. Its sometimes the case that it will just not go back together as tight as it is now and you could just damage screw in the process

There is mention of the 'W' stamp on 95's in Bruce's great reference download ....  Stamps of the Japanese Sword booklet

Its probably fair to say that Type 95's are not meant to be disassembled like Type 94, 97cand 98 officer swords.

Rob

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Stegel said:

Hi Paul,

You have a nice genuine  example of a Type95 sword.

Looking at the scabbard throat, it looks like this one has had 2 repaints in it's service life.

A dark jungle green was applied over the original brown, then it looks like this was removed and repainted with the black.

If you are interested in this model, you can get some general info Here, or if you got heaps of time and want more in depth info , try Here.

As you've also got some Officer swords, this is a good site too.

00.jpg

Thank you for all that information  ! Looks I will be doing some reading tonight, cheers 

45 minutes ago, robinalexander said:

Nothing to see in tang under the handle Paul so best leave it as is. You may, or may not, see a very small 'W' stamp but nothing else.  Never signed like most officer blades are. Its sometimes the case that it will just not go back together as tight as it is now and you could just damage screw in the process

There is mention of the 'W' stamp on 95's in Bruce's great reference download ....  Stamps of the Japanese Sword booklet

Its probably fair to say that Type 95's are not meant to be disassembled like Type 94, 97cand 98 officer swords.

Rob

Thanks Robin, great advice. much appreciated.  I also collect old Enfield rifles and I can't count how many i have seen that have been ruined by incorrect disassembly , all the best 

• Thanks 1

Quite easy to damage the soft screws with a slip of the screwdriver. A good few 95s I have show obvious signs of the screw being removed quickly or without the proper care. Irrespective of the stamps you may find on the tang, it's nothing that changes what the sword is, so while I enjoy seeing them, better not to potentially create a rattler in the process.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

That looks nice, Paul. Good find. 

I'm newer to WWII sword identification, compared to nihonto. With the wealth of info here on NMB, as well as the interaction with the gurus, I interpreted the blade to be genuine before reading on. I am throwing together a half-finished pictorial essay on Fake v. Real 95s document and the process has educated me.

Looking forward to pics of your purchases from the auction! 

52 minutes ago, WillFalstaff said:

That looks nice, Paul. Good find. 

I'm newer to WWII sword identification, compared to nihonto. With the wealth of info here on NMB, as well as the interaction with the gurus, I interpreted the blade to be genuine before reading on. I am throwing together a half-finished pictorial essay on Fake v. Real 95s document and the process has educated me.

Looking forward to pics of your purchases from the auction! 

Thank you Will, yes the amount of information here makes my head spin ! I look forward to learning all I can here.

I seem to always buy the collectable and then research it instead of the other way around, hopefully the swords that are arriving soon will be genuine,  all the best Paul 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..