This is perhaps the most difficult message that I've ever had to write. I am not sure there are suitable words that can appropriately express my devastation and grief. It is with the deepest sorrow that I must share that our friend, our colleague, our mentor, and one of the Nihonto communitys most committed scholars, Darcy Brockbank, has passed away. 

There is little more information that can be shared at this time, and there will be a great many things for the family and those closest to him to set in order in the coming weeks. While I want to encourage everyone to express their prayers and wishes, I would ask that questions be deferred for the time being to hold some space for those closest to him to process this tragedy, and focus on the tasks now set before them.

For those of you that have pending, continuing, or unfinished business matters, please contact me directly. 

This is truly one of the saddest days of my life.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 26

Ted, I'm in disbelief.  Darcy's website is the stuff of legends, certainly of a man dedicated in the extremis to Nihonto.  His untimely passing should be mourned as long as we all here are alive - and then some.  My sincerest condolences to his family.  My heart is still beating fast at the shock of reading this dreadful news.

Barry Thomas.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Darcy grew up in Windsor, Canada. He was one of 3 brothers. When younger, he worked in an automotive plant there. He would go onto McGill in Montreal to study Computer Science. He would start his own company and sell it to INTUIT during the Dot.com era. He bought a red Ferrari thereafter to impress the girls, but he rarely drove it. He preferred his dirtbikes, for which the local police gave him hell. He’d give them hell back.

I’d visit him in Montreal. Generally, he was interested in the science of finely made things. Be it Scottish whisky, the chemical composition of rare gemstones, or nihonto, we would stay up late talking. When I went to Scotland, I’d bring him back some good stuff not available in the USA back then.

He helped me design the wedding ring for my wife. We set it with a diamond he owned and I believe he was keeping for his own marriage. There was a pretty long haired brunette girl for him back then, but it didn’t work out.

One of the many random memories I have is that he would do things like get a bunch of sleeping bags and give them to the homeless on the coldest nights in Montreal.

We’d be friends for 20 years.

We would meet up every few years and have a meal together, starting up again as if we had just seen each other last week.

In recent years, life took us further apart- but I will miss the guy who could brutally argue statistics with me while we made hamburgers on a flame grill at 2 am.

Curran

• Like 10
  • Love 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

When a respectful period of time has passed, and the family is ready, I wonder if permission could be requested to have his blog articles archived here at NMB somehow for future collectors?  Not sure how, or in what format, but there is so much valuable information that should be saved.  I also think it would be an appropriate way to honor and remember such a leader in the nihonto community.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd be very glad to do that. He was a remarkable font of knowledge and wisdom. Up to the family, and way in the future when the time is right, perhaps Ted will make inquiries.
Or maybe Ted will keep the site going. Not sure.

• Like 3

This is so sad. So many great memories flood back . When Darcy was passing through Toronto we would often get together. He would leave treasures for me to study until he returned. A Go and  a koBizen, two fabulous swords were left for study one weekend. On another visit he gave me a photography lesson. Great discussions, great finds - he shared so much. My eyes are tearing up as I write this. His reach was far, his knowledge was great, his friendship will be missed be me and so many others. Condolences to all affected by him.

• Like 5

This is terrible news. My condolences to his family. I met him once at the SF show and he was super kind and generous to share some really unbelievable swords with me, but especially he shared his time and knowledge which was more precious. He will be sorely missed.

2 hours ago, Curran said:

Darcy grew up in Windsor, Canada. He was one of 3 brothers. When younger, he worked in an automotive plant there. He would go onto McGill in Montreal to study Computer Science. He would start his own company and sell it to INTUIT during the Dot.com era. He bought a red Ferrari thereafter to impress the girls, but he rarely drove it. He preferred his dirtbikes, for which the local police gave him hell. He’d give them hell back.

I’d visit him in Montreal. Generally, he was interested in the science of finely made things. Be it Scottish whisky, the chemical composition of rare gemstones, or nihonto, we would stay up late talking. When I went to Scotland, I’d bring him back some good stuff not available in the USA back then.

He helped me design the wedding ring for my wife. We set it with a diamond he owned and I believe he was keeping for his own marriage. There was a pretty long haired brunette girl for him back then, but it didn’t work out.

One of the many random memories I have is that he would do things like get a bunch of sleeping bags and give them to the homeless on the coldest nights in Montreal.

We’d be friends for 20 years.

We would meet up every few years and have a meal together, starting up again as if we had just seen each other last week.

In recent years, life took us further apart- but I will miss the guy who could brutally argue statistics with me while we made hamburgers on a flame grill at 2 am.

Curran

It is stories like this that make me truly regret never having met the man in person. A loss this community won't soon get over. I wish I had had the chance to meet him once. My condolences to his family and friends.

From FB post.

Darcy was an extraordinary guy. Highly intelligent, but also ambitious. I was always impressed with how he picked himself up after losing more than most could imagine in the stock market crash. He again became successful designing iphone apps and photographing supermodels. Darcy was a true renaissance man. I consider myself lucky to have known him.

I knew he could do his thing in jewelry and photography especially supermodels ;-) didn't know anything about creating apps he really was a renaissance man.

I hope all his achievements come out for us to remember.

One silly antidote when Darcy first approached nihonto message board as with many new members back them i took them under my wing to support. What was funny his intelligence (he learned with leaps and bounds) he soon realized he needed to seek a higher power.  Hey it gave me bragging rights even ever so brief I mentored Darcy LOL LOL

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I was always impressed with how he picked himself up after losing more than most could imagine in the stock market crash.

I remember arguing with him about those funds. I thought they were too leveraged and concentrated. I told him to avoid.

I'd make the same mistake before the Pandemic. Karma is a bitch.

I did not have the privilege of meeting him and only admired from afar his knowledge, erudition, commitment and willingness to share. Nevertheless, his passing is a tremendous shock and his presence and outsized influence will be missed. Life's too short.