Muromachi/Momoyama Period menuki

Chishiki

Hi.  Sharing these interesting menuki, made of shibuichi, and gold gilding.   Rather large 4.6cm ×1.8cm.   Whilst plain in the degree of artistic merit they have a charm about them.   What school?  I think maybe ezo, or umetada.  Any thoughts?  I  will submit them for shinsa in the future.   Mark

received_528908551896169.jpeg

received_3149364185319649.jpeg

received_2093210084189716.jpeg

20220228_141538.jpg

• Like 5

This above is where you experienced people just amaze me with your ability to recognize just what is what, makers, periods etc- dowsing is a description we could use.

I know and have seen and purchased items from Mark particularly and know his innate judgement and John (and so many others here) seem to have been dipped in a similar magic solution, like Obelisk in that great comic and film series- "Asterisk and Obelisk". 

A vat of 'knowledge', a.k.a education and experience.

Roger j

I think these menuki likely date from the Momoyama Period. I do agree with John's call of Mino. I don't see the extensive openwork around and among the design that I have seen on examples of Muromachi Period Ko-Mino menuki.      

On 2/28/2022 at 11:08 PM, Soshin said:

I think these menuki likely date from the Momoyama Period. I do agree with John's call of Mino. I don't see the extensive openwork around and among the design that I have seen on examples of Muromachi Period Ko-Mino menuki.      

3 of 3 people so far say mino.   I've been searching the internet for an example of mino menuki made of shibuichi with mercury gilding.  Do you have a reference example?  It will be very helpful.  Thanks.  Mark

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..