Contact details for sayagaki translation

Richard Thomas

Hey guys, I don’t expect to get a Tanobe sayagaki translated for free here, I have pm’d Markus a couple weeks ago to see if I could employ him for translation, but pm ‘unread’ at this stage, maybe he’s missed it or not logged on recently. Anyway does anyone have his email, or any other members that do sayagaki translations as a side gig for $ ? 
cheers Rich
43D8D230-E738-45F2-ADFC-51CB86D05B6F.thumb.jpeg.87031e95bb0d526afba5590bf3e987db.jpeg

Most of that is not too difficult, Rich, but all in one go is like asking someone to stuff down a very large hamburger when they are busy with other things.

Now if you broke that down into five or six easy photo sections, I am sure people here would jump at the opportunity to sharpen their skills!

Photo 1. 肥前の国藤原忠廣 ... etc.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Most of that is not too difficult, Rich, but all in one go is like asking someone to stuff down a very large hamburger when they are busy with other things.

Now if you broke that down into five or six easy photo sections, I am sure people here would jump at the opportunity to sharpen their skills!

Photo 1. 肥前の国藤原忠廣 ... etc.

That is a good idea.

Breaking images does not seem to be easy, so I tried to break that into 6 parts.

1. 肥前國藤原忠廣

2. 生茎八字銘有之二代初期作也

3. 米糠肌状ノ地鐵並ニ帯状ノ冴ヘタル直刃ハ同工ノ眞面目ヲ發揮シ出来宜敷候

4. 近江大掾受領前ノ寛永拾四年頃ノ作也

5. 刃長貳尺四寸六分有之

6. 惟時己丑秊(=)睦月良宜日 探山邊道観倂誌

• Like 8
  • Love 2

I tried a few, the others beyond me 

1. 肥前國藤原忠廣    Higo Kuni Fujiwara Tadahiro   肥前国藤原忠広  (Sesko eSwordsmiths has him on page 1054, using simple "hiro").  He is the 2nd generation Tadahiro.    He is in Hawley as TAD37 with the longer "hiro".

4. 近江大掾受領前ノ寛永拾四年頃ノ作也   this looks to say he received the title Omi no Daijo in Kanei ju yon nen (14) which is 1637.  Sesko has "he received the honorary title Ōmi no Daijō on the 22nd day of the seventh month Kan´ei 18 (寛永, 1641)

5. 刃長貳尺四寸六分有之    sword length nagasa is 2 saku 4 sun 6 bu   which is approx  74.5 cm

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mecox said:

I tried a few, the others beyond me 

1. 肥前國藤原忠廣    Higo Kuni Fujiwara Tadahiro   肥前国藤原忠広  (Sesko eSwordsmiths has him on page 1054, using simple "hiro").  He is the 2nd generation Tadahiro.    He is in Hawley as TAD37 with the longer "hiro".

It may be only a typo.

1. 肥前國藤原忠廣    Hizen Kuni Fujiwara Tadahiro

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mecox said:

4. 近江大掾受領前ノ寛永拾四年頃ノ作也   this looks to say he received the title Omi no Daijo in Kanei ju yon nen (14) which is 1637.  Sesko has "he received the honorary title Ōmi no Daijō on the 22nd day of the seventh month Kan´ei 18 (寛永, 1641)

A little correction;

4. 近江大掾受領前ノ寛永拾四年頃ノ作也

- A work made in around Kanei 14th year before he received the title Omi Daijo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

hi all,

Wow, thanks so much I definitely did not expect people to eat a huge hamburger while doing other things, lol 😂
Thanks all above for input really appreciated, and as Brian has stated I have really learnt a lot from this exercise. I could get smith and sword length and refs to nidai and konuka hada but couldn’t pull it together… lots of work to do in this department for me…

Steve M kindly pm’d me with the full translation, amazing; and also he was happy for me to share so others could get out of it what they will. Thought I would do a donation to the board as a thank you, so will do that now!

cheers Rich

SM translation:

Hizen-no-kuni Fujiwara Tadahiro

Ubu with eight-character signature. An early work of the Tadahiro 2nd.

The jitetsu of konuka hada, and the clear, belt-like suguha are excellent, and show off this smith's true abilities.

This piece was made circa Kan'ei 14 (1637), before Tadahiro received the title of "Ōmi daijō"

Length of two shaku, four sun, six bu.

Appraised and written on this day in November, 2009, by Tanzan Hendō.

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..