Translation of Mei on Teppo

DTM72

Looking forward to those, Dan.

In the past I used to say that only about 30% of Hinawajū carry a date. Did someone tell me that, or was it my imagination? It’s surely wrong. I would like to place on record here that this is not the case. Dates are found on closer to 10%, in my experience, possibly even fewer, tacked on to make a longer Mei. *One day I will go through the lists to work out some closer percentages.

Perhaps 65%+ overall carry a Mei, in my experience. Usually a province, with a smith house/forge/shop name plus an individual smith name. Usually these will carry a short comment on barrel forging process.

Absolutely Mumei though, are less common overall, I reckon. 

At present I can count here three Mumei Hinawajū, not bad examples in any way, also one with lots of Kanji including a date of 1847. Six others are signed with Mei but no date. (Previous ones that I owned have all been signed.)

Do any other collectors have any figures to support or negate the above? 

Always learning

In cyberspace

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..