What is represented on this tsuba??

Nicolas Maestre

Hi all,

Here is the tsuba from the koshirae of my first Nihonto. I just love the general shape, and thought that what could be a ladder was original, but what is the rest supposed to be?? I thought some kind of silhouettes but I don't know... Any thoughts?

https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=22/08/42jn.jpg

Oh and there is a possible mei, but really don't know if it is readable. Can someone read it?

https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=22/08/lfkk.jpg

That game board also looks like it would serve well as a stepping stool...

So maybe someone was poking fun at a rider who was short in stature and needed a stepping stool and ladder to get up on his horse? :glee:

I'm just kidding of course...

• Like 1

Wow,

Thanks guys, great information here, that's awesome! Looks like the maker definitely wanted to play with silhouettes, and perspective. I like it.

2 hours ago, Jussi Ekholm said:

Can't comment on the theme but signature seems to be - 法安久次 - Hōan Hisatsugu

Thank you Jussi, it seems indeed... Does anyone know anything about this particular maker? I could only find a few examples of tsuba online with the same mei. They all seemed to be from Edo period, 17th century. Can anyone confirm?

Anyways, thanks again for the replies, much appreciated 👍

Per Wakayama (one of the primary researchers/authorities on Japanese metalworkers), Hōan Hisatsugu is not one person, but a lineage of artisans all using the same name. There are at least 8 people using this name, in succession, spanning from the 1600s to the 1800s. I don't know if you will be able to pinpoint which one this is without sending it off to be authenticated. Even then, the authentication team might not be able to pin it down, and they just may say, "yes, we confirm it is an authentic Hōan Hisatsugu signature" without specifying which one. 

• Like 2

Excellent! Thanks a lot for your input! Learning a lot here ☺️.

9 hours ago, MauroP said:

Maybe a theme related to Satō Tadanobu?

I didn't know about this story. I like the idea.

10 hours ago, SteveM said:

Per Wakayama (one of the primary researchers/authorities on Japanese metalworkers), Hōan Hisatsugu is not one person, but a lineage of artisans all using the same name. There are at least 8 people using this name, in succession, spanning from the 1600s to the 1800s. I don't know if you will be able to pinpoint which one this is without sending it off to be authenticated. Even then, the authentication team might not be able to pin it down, and they just may say, "yes, we confirm it is an authentic Hōan Hisatsugu signature" without specifying which one. 

1 hour ago, FlorianB said:

Yeah, I don't think I will send it. I'm just happy that there is a possibility that it was made by one of the Hōan Hisatsugu makers. It's a nice surprise 🙂

1 hour ago, FlorianB said:

Glen,

that was my first thought, too, some kind of Japanese humour. :)

At least it could be an allusion to military strategy, overcoming obstacles - something like that.

Florian

I like your suggestion, makes a lot of sense...

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..