again their going crazy

Stephen

I can't view the auction images. Assuming the sword is the same one Vajo posted, it is indeed a Mizuno. Not sure what stamp you're referring to @Kiipu, but if it's the Mizuno subcontractor fuchi stamp, there are a fair few examples already posted on the forum and one in stamps doc (though @Bruce Pennington has it listed as maybe Mizuno when it is without doubt).

• Like 1

@BANGBANGSAN I said I'd let you know if I found one that I wasn't immediately going to buy myself. Well since I have no idea how Buyee works and have never used it, here you go, courtesy of Stephen. I'd suggest, given the extreme rarity, you don't hold back on price if you want to have a full set of subcontractor stamps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Buyee won't let you purchase swords, you need to have an agent in Japan bid on the yahoo.jp auction. If it has registration papers it should be illegible for export. The big issue is any old Type 95 that is registered in Japan goes for big money, as they are very rare to be legally owned.

• Thanks 2

Not difficult to understand why. Just look at registered FA firearms in the USA. To buy the cheapest...maybe a junk STEN, would cost you $6000+
The STEN is worth a few $100. But because it is one of a few licensed, transferable ones and there won't be more....the price is crazy. It's supply and demand. If you are like Morita san, and have an interest in wartime blades, you can buy plenty of Gendaito anytime. But if you want a Showato, or even rarer an NCO, then you have to fight over the occasional one or 2 that slipped through the cracks. And then you can brag and say you have one of a handful in the whole of Japan.
So to me, the price is not surprising. It is the existence of licensed ones that I am fascinated by.

• Like 1

Yeah Chris, that is kinda funny.  Just do not look at the blade!

I remember long ago the Japanese buying these swords for the fittings knowing full well that the blade would need to be cut up into pieces.  I could never understand the logic of owning a sword just for the fittings.  At that time, the Japanese economy was roaring and they had the money to spend on things like this.

• Thanks 1

Also one of less than 20 Mizuno recorded. So if you're a collector who wants one example of every known subcontractor, it's a very rare opportunity. While that might not be the driver in Japan, I'd expect these to fetch high prices elsewhere too, if the right people were competing. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..