Orginal, partialy orginal or alternative orginal

piotr67ce

Hello All

I see this blade on auction, which seems to be type 95 with aluminium tsuka. But it doesn't have a latch and tsuba doesn't have ahole for latch even.
Can you tak a look and say what you think? I am a bit new to this topic.
Thanks in advance
Edit: Sorry guys, my bad, shame on me. Now the pictures are visible, would you like to take a look?

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

1 hour ago, piotr67ce said:

If Putin have known what honor is I would gift him nice wakizashi, on my cost. But I don't expect too much sense of dignity from the mob trained as KGB agent.
Sorry for political offtopic

thank you for accepting my poor sense of humor.

Piotr,

Can you post more pictures, or give a link to the sale?

The pictures you have posted are all of the same side. You need to see the other side, where i'm sure you will find a 'side-lock' latch being used.

This sword is made by Nagoya Arsenal and they are the only arsenal to make these.

The serial numbers are correct as is the seki stamp preceding them. The Habiki (brass collar) markings are a bit unusual, more pictures could be of interest.

Overall it looks very clean and a nice genuine example in my opinion.

Good Luck

Thanks Piotr!  Can't believe the auction house is estimating 2-300 Euros!  These are selling for $1,400 USD over here! 

So @Stegel, the auction house isn't showing the other side.  Piotr, the gunto is made by a Seki shop for the Nagoya arsenal and some of these have the latch on the side.  We simply cannot see it because it's on the side not shown in the photos.  Not widely appreciated in the collector world for some reason, but numerically speaking more rare than copper-handled 95s as less of them were made.  Now, there may be more of them on the market than the coppers, but that's either because they were made later in the war and more were collected by the Allied forces, or collectors are simply holding onto the coppers and not putting them out there in the market.

Well, Bruce. The auction houses quite often show low estimation, just to attract buyers to participate. When you start bidding, the heat of the auction is doing the job. I'm not ready to spend 1k$, but I've seen sometimes very low prices. This is just a bit of lottery. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..