Odd wakizashi

Lareon

Hi all.

I have a blade that I got as a gift from someone who thought of me. It came in 50% junk mounts.

When I took it out to look at it and exposed the nakago I thought the mei was made using a Dremel and looked really crudely done, but now I'm not so sure, I keep having a 2nd look. Is that date even complete? 

The hamon looks interesting but I swear I can see a second hamon underneath it.

There seems to be a lot of activity in the metal too.

PXL_20220219_182740637.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220219_192656055.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220219_192650580.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220219_182441203.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220219_182428690.PORTRAIT.jpg

Tony,

that looks indeed like a nice blade, but the signature was done by someone who had no idea about what to do! He tried to chisel YOSHIMITSU on the wrong side and the date is HACHI GATSU HI, which means 'a day in the eighth month'.

DREMEL is a rotating tool, but this fake attempt was done with a sharp chisel. As the blade looks genuine, you might think of having the 'MEI' erased by a good polisher. 

2 minutes ago, ROKUJURO said:

Tony,

that looks indeed like a nice blade, but the signature was done by someone who had no idea about what to do! He tried to chisel YOSHIMITSU on the wrong side and the date is HACHI GATSU HI, which means 'a day in the eighth month'.

DREMEL is a rotating tool, but this fake attempt was done with a sharp chisel. As the blade looks genuine, you might think of having the 'MEI' erased by a good polisher. 

I didn't give the mei too much credence so didn't even notice it was on the wrong side!

I will most likely leave it all as is as I don't think I'd spend any money on it. Something about the blade though brings me back to look at it though. I think it's the dual effect of the hamon. I can't tell if it's interesting due to feeling off though!

I think that more photos are in order and it might be an interesting piece.  I don't think that the mei was added recently.  In such a case, there is usually red rust in the carving of the mei, and this tanto doesn't have that.  Having half a date is odd, but it would be nice to see the whole tang and the whole sword.  

• Like 1

Especially some close up photos above the nakago ana on the side with the date.  I am curious as to whether the patch that appears to have been polished in some way may have remnants of an era in it.  

I think it's an interesting older piece, probably early to mid muromachi.  

I haven't studied the mei but my first inclination is that it is representing Tosa Yoshimitsu.  

I think that this may be a better sword than you initially thought, and certainly worthy of more study. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Surfson said:

Especially some close up photos above the nakago ana on the side with the date.  I am curious as to whether the patch that appears to have been polished in some way may have remnants of an era in it.  

I think it's an interesting older piece, probably early to mid muromachi.  

I haven't studied the mei but my first inclination is that it is representing Tosa Yoshimitsu.  

I think that this may be a better sword than you initially thought, and certainly worthy of more study. 

When I'm home tonight I'll get the old dslr out a take some photos. 

I'm very interested in finding out more on this one.

As i said before i Initially I wrote it off because i was prejudiced about the mei but i keep coming back to it and looking at it over and over. Something is niggling in my mind every time that i take it out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..