Some Fuchikashira, Kozuka and Menuki For Sale

Krystian

@Brian Maybe you should remind people who sell stuff how this is supposed to work, such as maybe don't sell it to someone else after a first person already did so. I posted my interest in 3 items literally one hour after the ad was posted, just one. Seller tells me more than half a day later that 2 of them are already sold to someone else (whatever that person did better than me), and when I then asked how to proceed for the single remaining item, well that one got sold in the meantime. Great.

So exactly what does one need to do in order to buy something on this forum? Clearly, being the first person saying exactly what you want to buy from the ad within the hour after it being posted is not, so my question is, what is? "Someone else" was selected as better buyer than me apparently. Not the first time this happens on this forum, and exactly why my reputation is currently minus 3 for voicing it the first time.

Selling directions should be clarified and enforced. Otherwise, it's called discrimination.

Sorry to here about your experiences

I have bought quite a few tsuba from just one or two sellers so we know each other well

I PM'd for one tsuba from a 'friend' seller after only being for sale for less than 30 mins !

He was sorry but rules state first bid/payment secures the piece

Some times you have to be very quick

So I've been disappointed at times but never felt there is any unfairness but live is life

I do know that I've had a first bidder who delays payment or doesn't pay at all

PS

Just shown my interest in a post after four minutes!

George,
Unfortunately there is no way to force someone to sell to someone else. And it is not my right to force someone to sell to the first person interested.
There are plenty of tire kickers that will tie up an item for days without taking it, and others that maybe pay slowly or are in destinations that the seller prefers not to sell to. Not saying any of those apply here. But without knowing all the details, all I can say is that a firm "I'll take it" followed by a pm usually works. Questions about the item are not a sale, and neither is it one when the person posts "I'm interested"
It's worse on FB than here. In general, sellers are fair and decent. Again, I regret it happens, but there is a limit I can do.

• Like 2

George, 

I am sorry that It happened like that. I think half of the problem was an issue with Inbox. I did not know it was full and so messages could not reach me. I post my items in many places, those that you where interested in sold on facebook. I have bough additional storage space in the forum so I do not think this problem will happen again. 

However as I wrote in pm you posted in a thread "I'm interested in #3, #4 and #5." and then in a pm you asked about other options of contact. I just did not get that you wanted to buy kozuka number #3. If you wrote to me that you want to buy it I would have reserved it for you till payments cleared. I talked with 4 people who were interested in it at the same time and first person who actually said he wants to buy it, reserved it and then when payment came purchased it. There are many people who are interested in an item, it does not mean thay want to buy it...

Oh yeah, because when people answer an ad that's offering items for sale by saying they're interested, maybe they're interested in something else than buying it, right? Who knows.

I mean, maybe they're interested in #3 for writing a PhD about it, they're interested in #4 for, let's say, making a Zoom conference about, and #5 that one is probably for planting in the garden.

I thought we were all grown ups on this forum. Turns out, you say you're interested in items up for sale, and people have no clue what you're talking about. Oh but that other one, let's see, he used the verb "buy", let's look it up on Google. Okay buy means buy: he must want to give me his money. That must be my man then. Whatever that other guy meant. Surely he posted in the wrong window or something.

You're embarrassing yourself.
I'd say more than 80% of "I'm interested" inquiries never become a sale. Take this from someone who has sold over 1000 knives on FB and forums.
"I'm interested means I want to haggle, I am not willing to commit yet, and I want a back and forth debate first.
"I'll take it" .... THAT is a commitment.
Use it...don't use it. One of those will get you more items in the future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

To summarise, perfectly clear words have become ambiguous, and ambiguity doesn't call for clarification before passing on what is probably a reservation to someone else. All you get is one shot at guessing which word will be 100% clear to the seller.

Had I known what the world has come to.

Hi
I just like to add a couple of points that may help other buyers
When a seller has multiple items for sale I cut and paste the description of the item of interest in my PM
I may ask for extra images or any details to help me decide
If I’m 100% sure of a purchase I ask for a total and their email for a PayPal payment and pay using the ‘friends’ option
Once paid I send my address and any delivery instructions as I always as the package to be tracked and signed for where possible and a copy of the tracking number
It only takes minutes to send a payment
On delivery I contact the seller to say it has been delivered
I buy quite a few items, so sellers know my reputation

One follow up example from a few days ago
I expressed and interest to buy (as I needed to check my funds) within four minutes of seeing the selling post
They PMed me back saying I was first in line, but two others wanted t buy so three buyers with 30 minutes
It was a no brainer, and I confirmed my wish to buy and paid immediately
A seller expecting payment not delaying statements

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..