An interesting inscription

應需小林國廣
信濃國善光寺在住淩雲齊知延之造

皇國護持

Ōju Kobayashi Kunihiro

Shinano-no-kuni Zenkōji zaijū Ryōunsai Tomonobu kore wo tsukuru

Kōkoku Goji

At the request of Kunihiro Kobayashi

Made by Ryōunsai Tomonobu of Zenkōji temple, in Shinano (Prefecture)

"Protect the Empire"

In this case, the "protect the empire" probably alludes to an underground anti-occupationist movement that was started at the end of the war, for the protection of the imperial family (i.e. to protect the imperial family in case the US or the Allies made moves to harm them).  I can't find any record for "Ryōunsai Tomonobu". Maybe a fake name to protect his identity?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

A very interesting sword, do you have pictures of the blade & mounts? There is one Tomonobu listed in the Seki Kaji Tosho list, I don't think this is the same smith.

友信 (Tomonobu) 大矢 供一

Ref. ヤフオク! - 信濃国善光寺在住凌雲斎知延之作 昭和二十年八... (yahoo.co.jp)

• Like 1

I was looking on the sword on that pictures. There are a lot of activity in the hamon. Its not a typical oil hardnend seki sword.

Maybe made of mixed steel, folded and hand forged - quenched in oil yes. But really a nice sword with a beautiful inscription.

Plus, it doesn't have a Seki stamp on it. So, I too think its not really a typical Seki sword. Also note the sword was registered in Japan, originally in 1971, then again in 2021. I don't think it would have received a registration in 1971 if it was a normal Seki sword.

It may not be a Fukuoka Ichimonji-level sword, but for sure it is more interesting than most gunto. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..