Help with Ko-Wakizashi by Kanemitsu Mei

tbonesullivan

This proved to be difficult to get a good picture of the Mei unfortunately. It looks to read 住 兼 光 - JU KANE MITSU. The first character however is one I have never seen before. The last character I am pretty sure on "mitsu", with the lower right "leg" curving around quite a bit.

It also came with a wooden tag with a lot of writing on it, but I do not know if it is just a capture tag, or whether it has information regarding the maker. The blade shape is HIRA-ZUKURI.

Any help is definitely appreciated!

dcs60mei.jpg

dcs60sugata.jpg

dcs60tag.jpg

The tag lists an address in Miyagi Prefecture, Tome County, Yoshida Village. I can't read the bits after that. 

After that it mentions Kanekiyo-saku (包清作), which is obviously different from the item in the post. 

Can't quite make out enough of the rest to be meaningful. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Geraint said:

Dear David.

I am interested thaat you say, " It definitely has a lot of patination on the tang for being so young."

What age do you think it is?

All the best.

Almost all of what I have dealt with are 20th Century Gendaito and Showato, which usually don't have that patination from long term slow oxidation around the signature. It looks more like the Edo period blades I have handled. I am however no expert by any means.  I'm just now looking into how to do signature rubbings to maybe help reading ones like this easier.

23 hours ago, Ray Singer said:

Now that I look more closely, I believe this is Seki ju Kanemoto. 

関住兼元

I would agree now, I got a better picture... some how. And the last character is definitely TOMO and not MITSU.

Also got a picture of the overall sword and the reverse of the tang.

dcs60mei2.jpg

dcs60tang.jpg

dcs60overall.jpg

1 hour ago, tbonesullivan said:

.....And the last character is definitely TOMO and not MITSU.....

David,

to me, the last character looks more like MOTO as Ray had suggested. But the photo isn't so good, so you might give it another try with light from the side. In this case, there seems to be some dirt on the NAKAGO, so it could help brushing it with your wife's toothbrush (in case she uses a hard one) and applying a small amount of (any) oil. Don't use anything abrasive!  

20 hours ago, ROKUJURO said:

David,

to me, the last character looks more like MOTO as Ray had suggested. But the photo isn't so good, so you might give it another try with light from the side. In this case, there seems to be some dirt on the NAKAGO, so it could help brushing it with your wife's toothbrush (in case she uses a hard one) and applying a small amount of (any) oil. Don't use anything abrasive!  

UGH.. I was in a rush can't type. IT's MOTO as Ray said. I can clearly see the two parallel lines.

I have however been using a stiff plastic brush to help get stuff out of the MEI on another tang. It definitely has brought out some stuff I could not see before.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..