Sword Society job title translation?

george trotter

Hi all,

I've been reading a book in Japanese which includes info on the smith Tsukamoto Masakazu who made a sword I have.

I am having trouble getting the precise translation/meaning of these two picture captions.

First is the job title? on the picture of him.

Next is the precise name/meaning of the sword society office? in the other picture.

I might have got them but some is missing in my sources...Can anyone tell me the correct pronunciation and meaning please?

Thanks,

Tsukamoto Masakazu.jpeg

Masakazu Riki Kumiai Office.jpeg

• Like 1

George, my Google translator gives me for the first: second deputy director Masakazu Tsukamoto. 
The second one does not make much sense to me…. Existing [something] office. Was he a member of an organisation called Riki or something? 

Well, after some searching I came up with Rikigun as this guy is described as a Rikigun Jumei tosho 

So, my guess for the second caption: Existing Rikigun office, or something along the lines. 

I am sure people with proper knowledge of the language will correct me. 

Thank you both guys.

Michael, you were on the right lines...I got very similar outcome but thought he might be 2nd Chairman and as for the 'RIKI' thing..., I can see from Moriyama san that I was (and you) were in the right area...so thanks.

Moriyama san, thank you. (here are my translations  - with mistakes):

I had "nidai genjicho" which I thought might be "2nd generation chairman" .

And for the next one I had "Riki Kumiai Jimujo" which I thought to mean "Blade Assoc. Office".

As for the word Genzon suru...this refers to the fact the building was still existing in 1993 when that photo was taken for the book.

My kanji books are not too clear on one or two of these kanji/meanings.

So Moriyama san....can you say what they mean by 2nd generation?

And is it chief-director or chairman?

And would you say Guild rather than Association?...or maybe Union?

...it is hard to know these translations exactly

Thanks,

11 hours ago, george trotter said:

So Moriyama san....can you say what they mean by 2nd generation?

And is it chief-director or chairman?

And would you say Guild rather than Association?...or maybe Union?

...it is hard to know these translations exactly

Thanks,

2nd generation Rijicho is the successor of the 1st Rijicho in the context.

I do not know what kind of Kumiai it is without reading the book, but I assume that it is a manufacturing and trading guild.

Thank you again Moriyama san,

Ok so 2nd generation means "next" or "second" Director.

This was where  11 RJT members and 15 polishers who were members of the Riki Kumiai  formed their own Gunto Kumiai Association in March 1944 and at some time in 1944-1945 Masakazu became 2nd Director.

The book (if you can find a copy) is "Gunto Kumiai Shimatsu" (Rikugun Jumei Tosho no Shuen) about Fukushima swordmaking in WWII - published by AIZU BUNKAZAI CHOSA KENKYUKAI. 1994. 

Morita san sent me this book many years ago...good book. I like it because my sword is made by Tsukamoto Masakazu of Koriyama, Fukushima.

While I understand most of what I read, I sometimes cannot be sure of the translation meaning of a few words...that is why I asked here.

Thank you again,

So, after our discussion, I think it will be OK to use the words   "2nd Director" and "Association".

Regards,

Thanks to Nick...he really is an asset to we RJT buffs...so are you Thomas.

Edit to add: FYI Thomas, I notice in your post to Nick you say "Jimusho" is part of the title of the "union"...it is not (Nick doesn't answer this) but in fact it is the last word in the caption of the Sword Assoc. building above...the word simply means "Office" as in 'Blade Assoc. Office'.

Robert, Yes, my Fukushima Masakazu is the elder brother of Tsukamoto Okimasa. In fact, Chris Bowen and I think my sword, one of Masakazu's early ones (3/17) was signed daimei by Okimasa.

The Tsukamoto family were edged-tool maker family from Koriyama in Fukushima. Four brothers became swordsmiths. Okimasa went to Tokyo c. 1934 to become apprenticed to Kasama Shigetsugu (mar. his daughter). When he became independent he set up a forge in Setagaya Tokyo and his brothers Masakazu, Kiyokazu and Masazumi all became his apprentices. Masakazu and Kiyokazu (who had taken the name Kasama) had both set up forges back in Koriyama by Dec 1941 -Mar 1942.

A very interesting family...that's why I was asking questions about the sword industry in Fukushima.

Lots of fun to research a smith you have a blade by.

Regards to all...

Hi Robert,

Okimasa is the most famous of the brothers, in fact, had he not died prematurely in 1960 he would likely have become a Living National Treasure.

My Masakazu only worked from c. 1940-1945 then went back to edges tools/blades etc.

Very few Japanese sources have much on him other than "brother of Okimasa".

Still, a good sword is a good sword.

Regards,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..