help needed - an unusual request

b.hennick

HELP!

I am working on Guido Schiller's wonderful article on jichu no hataraki - activities in the ji and or shinogi-ji. My aim is to find photos that I can use to illustrate the article. I thought that this would be an easy task. Looking at my own collection of photos was disappointing. What I am asking for is photos that I can use to illustrate the terms. I have a list below of terms mentioned in the article. The article will be submitted to the JSSUS Newsletter. If you have images that I can use or if you source images that I can ask permission to use please PM me. I put the terms in alpja order. Here is the list

1. 1. Ara-Nie

2. Bō-Utsuri

3. Chikei

4. Chōji utsuri

5. Ginsuji

6. Hadaka-Nie

7. Hajimi

8. Inazuma

9. Jizukare

10. Ji-Nie

11. Kage Utsuri

12. Kazunoko Nie

13. Kinsuji

14. Ko-Nie

15. Kuro Utsuri

16. Midare-Utsuri

17. Mizukage

18. Muneyaki

19. Nie

20. Nioi

21. Ō-Nie

22. Saka-Chōji Utsuri

23. Shirajimi

24. Shirake Utsuri

25. Sumigane

26. Tobiyaki

27. Utsuri

28. Yakiotoshi

29. Yubashiri

I hope to be able to add to the article "With help from friends on the Nihonto Message Board".

Guys,

I'd LOVE to see us help with this project..seems especially useful and appropriate too.

If anyone has any pics that can help..please do send them on. Perhaps Barry can edit the post as he receives pics and update us with what he still needs.

I'll sticky this post for a while too, in case it helps.

Brian

Hello:

My aim as stated is to add to Guido's wonderful article. The result will be published in the JSSUS Newsletter. If Guido agrees I see no reason not to also publish it here. I will have to remove colour from the JSSUS article and use smaller images but here we could use larger images.

It is difficult at least more difficult than I expected to source images. I appreciate the help I am getting. Images can be sent directly to me at barry@hennick.ca

I also check PMs as they arrive.

Thanks again.

I sent Barry a revised version that includes Chikei, Utsuri and some other stuff - however, since he's the editor, blame him if you don't like the result :lol:. It's meant for publication in the JSS/US Newsletter, but I wanted to suggest anyhow that it's also made available online on NMB.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you to all who helped with this project. It is great when a thread or post on the Messageboard can be turned into an article for publishing in the JSSUS Newsletter. After the article is published I will post it and the little quiz created based on photos of

Jichū no Hataraki 地中の働き

It is very difficult to find good photos of Japanese swords. It is even more difficult to find good photos of hataraki. There is no short cut to learning about these things. One needs to hold good swords and to have features explained by a knowledgeable collector. I encourage all of you to come to a sword show, to get together in informal groups and share your knowledge and your blades. When someone looks at one of your swords ask him/her to describe what they see. If they see a feature that you do not recognize ask them to point it out and explain it to you. That is the way to learn. This hobby of ours is hard work. It is not black and white. Time, effort, books, Internet, Newsgroups only take you so far. To go further you actually need to hold and study a sword.

Finally, I had some time off work and used that time to do a full size oshigata of a recent acquisition. It is only when doing a oshigata like that that you look at every centimeter of the blade and look for features. Try it you might be amazed by what you see.

Gentlemen

I am pleased that Barry made that statement regarding oshigata as it is absolutely true. I take some pleasure in that if you spend an hour on the boshi for instance, when you return the blade to the owner, you may know more about his sword than he does. Also it is possible for anyone to draw oshigata, all you need ideally is a sword with a reasonable polish, patience and some simple tools and the result is both very educational and satisfying. Have a go!

Clive

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..