Best nihonto dealers for true daisho?

drl

I’ve decided to begin a quest to purchase a truly special daisho nihonto. What I’m looking for, ideally, is the following (I appreciate it may not be possible to find a daisho that meets all of these goals, but I hope to find one that is close):

- Katana and wakizashi

- Papered together (rare, I realize)

- Similar hamon

- Tokobetsu hozon/kicho or higher

- Koshirae complete (with kozuka, etc.) and matching

- With shirasaya and tsunagi

- Edo period or earlier

- Koshirae ideally are original to the daisho, but if not, at least of the same period

I realize any daisho that satisfies such a dream list will be expensive. For the right daisho, I am prepared to pay at least ¥2,000,000-4,000,000. 

I would very much appreciate suggestions of dealers or even specific daisho available for sale that meet most or all of these criteria. 

Please send me a message or post a reply here if you have any thoughts. Thank you very much for your time and suggestions. 🙏 

1 hour ago, Nihontocollector752 said:

If you have an open mind and suitable budget (as you do) the why not contact Darcy Brockbank at yuhindo.com and get his feedback 

Already done-- thank you!  I enjoyed Darcy's writings on daisho very much.

3 hours ago, Markdd said:

daisho-higo1.thumb.jpg.efceb86919ce33292006fd12452283b2.jpgjapanszwaard.nl has some nice ones one in particular caught my eye both paperd to the same smith with original Koshirae ,but I would have to win the lottery.

Mark

Thank you, Mark.  I enjoyed going through their inventory.

11 hours ago, jlawson said:

Here is a nice set. https://www.nihonto.com/11-4-21/

Thank you, James. I did see that set and there's much I like. Downsides are the blades are of different styles, not papered together, and the (shortened) wakizashi is unsigned and thus Hozon rather than Tobuketsu Hozon.  Of course still a very nice daisho.

Archived