meaning of this "aoi vines & rolled matts" motif?

GRC

Summary from a member who sent a message:

It's a reference to chapter 9 of the Tale of Genji.

And like Piers just pointed out, the matts are actually the rolled blinds that can be used to cover the windows of transport carriages.

In chapter 9, Genji (the loverboy) is smitten when he catches a glimpse of a lady through the blinds of a carriage.

As far as I can tell, the aoi vines are a reference to Genji's wife who is nicknamed Aoi. 

I also saw the aoi vines referred to as "heart-vines".

So the aoi vines could be a double reference: one to Genji's wife and the other to "tales of the heart" so to speak, when Genji's eye strays towards another woman and all the problems that ensue.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Top quality one in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. 29.100.972

76 mm x 73 mm x 5 mm  Wt. 138.9 g  Shakudo, gold and copper.

Like the very first example in the first post. [from the Michael Tomkinson collection (no.82)]. It has Kanmuri (冠) (3). The cap worn by Shinto clergy and courtiers in Japan.

29.100.972.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

One from the Tadamasa Hayashi collection. [image from 1906]

Translated from the French description

"Number 138.  Iron guard chiseled and openwork. Aoi plant and rolled blind. By Bushû. Beginning of the 17th c."

A very similar design to the one posted by Glen [GRC]  on February 13, even down to the open book.

image.thumb.png.7968d6d828e32a7d2e7a0277e580ff57.png

• Like 2

Thanks a lot Roger. As it happens I am about to release a new "old" book on the Tadamasa Hayashi collection from back in 1906 and I stumbled on one of his images of a "16th century cast bronze" guard only to turn around and find it's utsushi listed on eBay [I have grave doubts either are 16th century.]

image.pngimage.png

:offtopic:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is an unusual case of the Aoi and screen being the secondary depiction on the ura side.

Found in the Walters Art Museum.

"Tsuba with a Hanging Bouquet ("Kusudama")" 2 7/16 x 2 x 3/16 in. (6.17 x 5.04 x 0.4 cm)

Ichijuken Teruaki.   -  Kato Teruaki (active ca. 1858-1861) 一壽軒 英明

image.thumb.png.8b1e0255b2ea39e98a6aefe78d7dcb3c.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well Stephen has declined a "Trio" so this one has turned up-  https://www.jauce.com/auction/r1053623395  

The auction has ended but may well get relisted. A little worse for wear and overpriced for the condition.  :(

image.thumb.png.7ea30f788543b95a68d706e9c6f94cb4.png

Yes the auction has re-listed it. 8 hrs later.

Edited by Spartancrest
new data
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..