Could a Mumei or Suriage Kotetsu become Juyo

A couple of points. I did go through the Juyo Kotetsu and could not see any suriage swords. 
Secondly, slightly machiokuri is nowhere near the same “flaw” or “detractor” when positioning in the hierarchy for Juyo as is suriage. Sometimes machiokuri is not even detectable and people sometimes even say “possibly slightly machiokuri”. 

For old swords, where signed examples survive,  empirically I have noticed that broadly speaking the following hierarchy applies:  ubu zaimei > ubu kinzogan or suriage zaimei > suriage orikaeshi >  gakumei > suriage kiwame (I suppose with exception of Kochu, Kojo who are highly valued) > mumei. 

Of course the above is a crude generalisation and in fact there are Koto swords where you cannot realistically find zaimei swords (Soshu; few Kokuho exceptions) so you have to go with mumei or kiwame. Sometimes the kinzogan comes with such strong provenance (kinzogan were expensive to give so Daimyo blades by definition) or such strong quality that the blade is elevated through Juyo and TJ. 

For new swords, as is the case with Kotetsu, you really need zaimei ubu or at the very best undetectable little machiokuri but otherwise pristine nakago (and of course -sword). The Juyo criteria precisely state: “Blades made in the Muromachi period must be zaimei and blades from the Edo period and later, as a rule, must be ubu and zaimei to receive Juyo Token paper.”

So, the answer to your question is No. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..