Help on translation

Scott51

A family member brought this sword back from Nagoya Japan in 1950. He was with the US military.   It finally was passes down to me. No one knows the exact origin but I was told how to remove the handle and look foe markings. If anyone could provide information that would be helpful.  Thanks. 

ED60395A-DF06-4E06-B229-665D4F273351.jpeg

On 2/10/2022 at 4:57 PM, Scott51 said:

Thank you so much.   I am very new to this genre.  What next steps should I take to estimate the age?  Trying to learn….  Again thanks 

I was unable to locate any reference material to Nagasada from Bishu so he is somewhat of an unknown smith. Helping you to estimate the age would require more pics of the entire blade, including close-up pics of the tip of the sword (KISSAKI - 切先 ) so that we can see the hamon in the tip (BOSHI - 帽子). We also need to see a close up of the hardened edge (HAMON - 刃文) and the area just above that to see if there is any grain or folding patterns of the steel (HADA - 肌). 

Just looking at the tang (NAKAGO - 中心) it appears that it is original shape (UBU - 生) and not shortened/cut-down (SURIAGE - 磨上) The dark brownish color leads me to believe that this is from the Edo era 1600-1867 or in the Japanese sword world that would be SHINTO - 新刀 1597-1780. Shinto = New Sword, Koto = Old Sword, Shinshinto = New New Sword.

Readers Digest Condensed Version, so far your wakizashi (WAKIZASHI - 脇差) appears to be 250-300 years old, but again, we need additional pictures to help you date it better. Your best bet is to get it into the hands of a person knowledgeable with Nihonto, in person. If you were near me, I would be happy to look at it for you, but your location is listed as USA...Please mention a closer location and maybe a member here can help, in person.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Dan,  thank you so very much for the very detailed and thoughtful information.   I will post pictures of the areas that you mentioned shortly.   I also have another Wakizashi that is much longer that was brought over with this one but because the pin in the handle is under the cloth (silk) wrap I have been hesitant to try and do too much.   Also, I live in Cumming, Ga.  about 30 miles north of Atlanta.   Again, thanks for helping me learn about this family treasure…

I work in Columbus Georgia and I have a  little experience and a lot of reference books that we could go through to help determine what you have if you are ever in this area. There are probably members closer to you and certainly many who know more than I do. Just letting you know I’m available if you pass this way.

1 hour ago, Apercus said:

I work in Columbus Georgia and I have a  little experience and a lot of reference books that we could go through to help determine what you have if you are ever in this area. There are probably members closer to you and certainly many who know more than I do. Just letting you know I’m available if you pass this way.

Thanks for the gracious offer. I will definitely keep you posted if I travel that direction!

There is one member of the board who is listed as living in ATL. Not sure of their experience level but will tag them here. @AntiquarianCat

BTW, Ray is one of the most trusted and knowledgable people on this board. Just in case you didn't understand what he mentioned here is a quick breakdown.

Sue Bizen 末備前, is sometimes called Eisho Bizen 永正備前 covers Bizen swords made in Koto Era on after Eisho period 永正 but before the end of Tensho period 天正 (1504 - 1591). Katsumitsu 勝光, Tadamitsu 忠光, Munemitsu 宗光, Kiyomitsu 清光, Sukesada 祐定 were the most distinguished sword makers of this period. So with your additional pictures, the style, hamon, hada leads Ray to believe that your wakizashi was made during this period...1504-1591. 

Hope this helps! Wishing you the best,

Dan

• Like 2

Dan that is great info.  Now I’m not looking to sell this.  I will pass it down to my son.  Few additional questions…

Should I have the blade polished and remove the rust?  I understand that most antique items should be left as is. Not sure about my Wakizashi?

Is the estimated value such that I should have it insured?

FYI… also I’ve posted the second sword that was brought back with this one. 

1st and most important, we are just temporary owners along the life of these works of art. To preserve them and pass them on, they need special care. Please click the links below for the care guide for Nihonto (Japanese Swords). 1st link is Ray's website. 2nd link has pictures to help you.

https://swordsofjapan.com/nihonto-library/nbthk-etiquette/

http://www.samuraisword.com/care/handling_sword_NBTHK.htm

35 minutes ago, DTM72 said:

1st and most important, we are just temporary owners along the life of these works of art. To preserve them and pass them on, they need special care. Please click the links below for the care guide for Nihonto (Japanese Swords). 1st link is Ray's website. 2nd link has pictures to help you.

https://swordsofjapan.com/nihonto-library/nbthk-etiquette/

http://www.samuraisword.com/care/handling_sword_NBTHK.htm

Thanks again!

11 hours ago, Scott51 said:

Should I have the blade polished and remove the rust?

Not sure if the Care and Etiquette pages touched on the active rust issue.  And I'm not a nihonto guy, so if I'm wrong about this, guys, chime in!  The active rust can be stopped with coating with an oiled rag.  It can actually be reduced with some work with a deer antler and oil.  I recently used this technique on a small blade and it actually removed quite a bit with apparently no marks to the actual blade. You can find cut deer antlers at pet stores (dogs love to chew them).

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..