Finds Of The Century

Tom Darling

This would be a long list, as some truly remarkable finds have been made in the last 50 years. Just looking at the swords which have been discussed here on the NMB tell the stories of some great discoveries.

• Ko-Ichimonji Munetada ubu tachi
  • Pre-war kokuho Norishige katana
  • Masayuki (same smith as Kiyomaro) katana

And this is just the past 3-4 years. I know of other missing swords that have been found which have been kept more privately. Some collectors prefer not to go public with their finds.

Hi Ray,  I understand.  Just asking of sword names, not owners.  I remember a few more,  Kotetsu stout Wakizashi, horimono both sides O'kissaki. Iyetsugu NT out of San Diego, Enju Kunitomo, Kiyomaru out of the midwest, SA, 1st gen.Nanki Shigekuni, several Ichimonji, early Tegai Kanenaga. Sadamune, Tadatsuna 2nd, Naotane, Tadayoshi. Tadahiro, 1st,2nd 3rd 4th 8th gen. Kuinmune.  Several Great swords came out of Fl. Texas, Calif. Mass. Ny. etc. Can Europe, UK and Japan add to this list, only names of swords you heard of, not their owners.  That's all.

Best regards,

Tom

Blades:

• Ubu Niji-Mei Ichimonji Yoshifusa Tachi
  • Pre-war kokuho Soshu Hiromitsu wakizashi
  • Ubu Enbun Kanemitsu Tachi

Kodogu (I know you said swords, but just in case : )

• One of the Mosle collection Shodai Nobuie tsuba
  • One of the Mosle collection Shodai Kaneie tsuba 

To name but a few. 

Sincerely,

Austin

• Like 1

Bijutsuhin Hiromitsu Tachi discovered in California by Ralph Bell early 2003. This masterpiece was missing for 55 years. It is an immeasurable piece of history and it’s contribution to answering many questions.

http://www.nihonto-museum.com/collection/exhibit/juyo-bijutsuhin-hiromitsu-tachi

• Like 3
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Ronin 47 said:

Blades:

• Ubu Niji-Mei Ichimonji Yoshifusa Tachi
  • Pre-war kokuho Soshu Hiromitsu wakizashi
  • Ubu Enbun Kanemitsu Tachi

Kodogu (I know you said swords, but just in case : )

• One of the Mosle collection Shodai Nobuie tsuba
  • One of the Mosle collection Shodai Kaneie tsuba 

To name but a few. 

Sincerely,

Austin

Thank you George and  Austin, for the great reminders. While I was aware of the other swords, I had not read about the Yoshifusa one. Is that one published or documented similarly to the other swords? 
Thank you! 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Utopianarian said:

Bijutsuhin Hiromitsu Tachi discovered in California by Ralph Bell early 2003. This masterpiece was missing for 55 years. It is an immeasurable piece of history and it’s contribution to answering many questions.

http://www.nihonto-museum.com/collection/exhibit/juyo-bijutsuhin-hiromitsu-tachi

Thanks George, great Sword with full description, WOW.       Tom D.

18 hours ago, Gakusee said:

Thank you George and  Austin, for the great reminders. While I was aware of the other swords, I had not read about the Yoshifusa one. Is that one published or documented similarly to the other swords? 
Thank you! 

Hi Michael, it should be in one of the Juyo Zufu, not sure which one? 

Have been collecting for about 25 years. My first sword I purchased was out of Iowa. I paid $650 for it. I sent a check in the mail for it, not knowing what I was really getting. Here is my first sword. No signature. The tang is darker than the picture, it looks black. From what I've been told the signature was cut off when the sword was shortened. The scabbard is nickel plated (I think) and the top was covered by the officer with tape to prevent shine (first pick). Gorgeous blade without any damage. Look at that beautiful tip!! Came from the family of a marine. He picked up the sword while island hopping. I believe he got it While fighting on Guadalcanal. I wanted to get with the family and get some paperwork on the Marine along with his picture to display the sword. I lost their contact information so impossible now. This is a family sword in combat configuration. Blade is 28" I've only shown this sword to one other collector, so this is the first time seen in public. 

sword 3.jpg

sword 4.jpg

sword 5.jpg

sword 2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..