Packaging… and then package more!

So a little while ago, I purchased a tsuba from a member in Germany.  Between DHL and USPS, it took a little over 3 weeks to get to Chicago.  I post the following picture to just remind everyone… no matter how well you think you have packaged and protected items you are sending… ADD MORE PROTECTION!  Thank goodness the person that sent me the tsuba added extra packing material and all was well.

MODS: If this is in wrong section, please feel free to move.

050A1CA9-1586-4267-A41C-ADFC0FD8C66D.jpeg

• Wow 3
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, Highly recommended and if especially high priced item get the extra insurance on top of the low standard insurance. Best way to ship which togishi recommend is registered mail. It takes forever but it tracks a chain of custody that I believe is literally under lock and key from destination to destination. once a few years ago received a blade in the mail standard USPS delivery from NY📦 in which the beautiful Honoki shirasaya was crushed like a 2000lb garage door was dropped on it. The post office should be dismantled and contract given to next best bidder with less paid holidays/retirement etc.. more efficient and faster delivery times and willing to bet I am within a stones throw of a company that gives better service that can actually handle the demand. USPS=3rd World Service. We are living it now. That’s what it seems our Government wants. * Edit Admin *

38 minutes ago, vajo said:

The package looks like a truck was rolling over it. Incredible what they do with our sendings. Terrible.

I got the feeling someone had a bad day, my innocent package made it worse somehow, and it was given a heel stomping!:o  

How do you deliver something (when that is your JOB) that looks like that with any source of pride?  I think I just answered my own question.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

I sold my Juyo Ryokai to a German guy. It took more than a month to arrive at its destination and when my friend received it, he told me the package was koshi zori. Grev bought 2 tsuba from my collection. It took more than 3 months for the parcel to cross the Channel and when Grev received it, it had a sole print on it….

As mentioned before, use a thick cardboard tube whenever possible, cut down to fit.

If using a cardboard box then go around the entire box with brown tape, it may irritate customs should they want to check it out but better than getting beat up with holes in it, also makes it a bit more awkward for thieves looking for a quick grab,

I use that “fragile” red and white striped tape too

The item in the box, bubble wrap etc then i use masking tape. If customs want to take a look you want them to be able to open it up easily without having to resort to scissors and stanley knives and potentially damaging your item

Had 2 swords turn up where the blade is sliding out of the saya. With shirasaa i wrapa piece of bubble wrap around the joint where the tsuka meets the saya and then wrap it tight over the top with masking tape. Should stop it sliding out and if messed with you will know someones had the it out for a look. With a blade in koshirae just make sure its wrapped tight enough to stop the blade slipping out, it is annoying when it turms up loose.

Some folk pack cardboard boxes with wood

https://www.bolk-antiques.nl/shipping-packaging

• Like 1

When shipping blades I usually put a layer of oil on the bare blade, wrap it in saran wrap and put it on a board bigger in all directions than the sword with a small peg through the mekugiana into the board and then zip tied to the board. Wrapped in paper then bubble wrap and into one of the FedEX triangular shaped shipping boxes.  Koshira wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in same tube. 

Never had a problem - knock on wood !!!! BUT in this pandemic with the amount of shipping going on they are being more than rough trying to get everything to where they want it to be.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..