Shin Gunto with a straight blade ..

Butch

“Inoue Masakuni” (井上正国)  1860s?

possible but dates are off 

MASAKUNI (正国), Genji (元治, 1864-1865), Iyo – “Imabari-jū Masakuni” (今治住正国), real name “Ono Tomoji” (斧友治), he also bore the first name Tomojirō (友二郎) and was the son of the Bunka-era (文化, 1804-1818) Iyo Ono Kunimasa (国正), he studied under Suishinshi Masahide (水心子正秀) and Ozaki Masataka (正隆)

MASAKUNI (正国), Bunkyū (文久, 1861-1864), Musashi – “Efu ni oite Minamoto Masakuni saku” (於江府源正国作), “Bishū-san Mizuno Masakuni Bufu ni oite kore osaku” (尾州産水野正国於武府作之, “made by Mizuno Masakuni, born in Owari, in Edo”), “Mizuno Hideshirō Masakuni” (水野秀四郎正国), “Bishū Mizuno Masakuni” (尾州水野正国), real name Mizuno Matsujirō (水野松次郎), he came originally from Owari but moved eventually to Edo where he became a student of Hosokawa Masayoshi (正義), it is said that he worked later also in

I've been following this thread and it's a bit of a conundrum to me. It sure looks like Sakushū-jū Inoue Masakuni on the omote. And the date of January 1864 is fine, but that bit after the date is also something I haven't been able to figure out. The first character after the date doesn't strike me as 於, but I have no plausible alternative to offer. (Well, it looked to me like 八赤百, but that doesn't make any sense, so I've been sitting on the sidelines). Very sad to say I have nothing of much value to contribute to the discussion. 

Meikan more?

Or an early work of our man Inoue Masakuni from Ashū (阿州), and maybe he was apprenticed in, or working around Mimasaka at the time, and this bit didn't get recorded? That would be my hypothesis for now. 

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..