Fujiedatarō Teruyoshi article

Having found a very interesting katana at an antique show this past weekend led me to this article below on the smith by Markus. It's pretty wonderful to be able to learn so much about a swordsmith's life and career, and greatly enrichens the experience of studying his work. 

https://markussesko.com/2013/05/13/from-the-life-of-fujieda-taro-teruyoshi/

IMG_20220206_124135.jpg

IMG_20220206_120711.jpg

IMG_20220206_143707.jpg

IMG_20220206_143815.jpg

IMG_20220206_124250_977.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That's an interesting sword Ray.  It was made after 1861 (I don't know the numerical value of the kanji used), so it is interesting to me that it has what look like two separate sword strikes, suggesting that it was put to use in battle.  I wonder if it was used in one of the uprisings such as the Boshin war or Satsuma rebellion.  

Indeed, it is interesting to think these kirikomi might have been from one of those two conflicts. This is a case where it is very clear that the damage is from a real sword strike (vs. dings to the mune which are described as kirikomi, but may have a more mundane origin). There are three kirikomi on the mune and several small hakobore on the edge as well, so it seems clear that this sword has been through a fight. 

As for the date, yes as said above this is Bunkyo gannen and the date coincides with the birth of his first child as documented in Markus article.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..