Book - Study of Japanese Swords

I recently received a copy of Yurie Halchak's Book, Study of Japanese Swords - Chronological Study of Japanese Swords and Japanese History.
Thank you @yurie!
I thought I could have a glance through it, and post my impressions. But on opening it, I realized this is no  "quick glance" book. It is a serious and in depth study of Japanese swords, with a TON of information of use to any collector. The hard cover version is posing some printing issues, but my soft cover version is perfect for reading, and I suggest this is a must-have book. I took a few days to go through it.
I have posted some pics so you can get an idea of the subjects covered. I would say this is as important as "Connoisseurs" to the Nihonto collector, whether they be a beginner or an advanced student.
This isn't a glossy, high resolution coffee table book with pictures to gaze it. It is a chock-full of info book, that covers most of the topics you would want to read about if considering collecting, and learning the various schools and traditions.
At $40, this is a steal and it is available from ALL the various Amazon websites: https://www.amazon.com/Study-Japanese-Swords-Chronological-History/dp/1954297432

Well done Yurie, and thanks for promoting the study of Nihonto and increasing our knowledge.

IMG_7005.JPG

IMG_7006.JPG

IMG_7007.JPG

IMG_7008.JPG

IMG_7009.JPG

IMG_7010.JPG

IMG_7011.JPG

• Like 8
  • Love 3

Reading through the first few chapters. 

To a FNG like me, Yurie’s book is great. She cuts through a lot of jargon and has pictures—pictures galore— and graphs, and drawings, and all with arrows and ‘Murican terms and Japanese terms! 

The best though is that she goes chronologically, through the main schools, and sticks to the main distinctive features.  

For example: Bizen Den, Middle Kamakura period: a timeline graph at the beginning of the chapter anchors your wandering mind in the era. Then there is a paragraph of short history of this school at this time, followed by the tree most distinctive features (numbered) to look for: temper line description, Ji-hada, and reflection. Then she goes on to Sugata details with pictures, Horimono details with pictures, nakago type description - no pictures - but she explains very plainly distinctive features, hamon is plainly described, boshi details with pictures, and elaboration on ji-hada details. The chapter ends with the swordsmith groups and associated smiths. 

I can say this is exactly what helps me really internalize kentai. Kudos to her—millions of kudos to her! Throw money at the screen and buy her book (when it’s in stock again). 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's an amazing book. Don't get me wrong but from a "designer" point of view, it deserves a much better cover design.(both front and back)

I would love to help her out for a new design if there is going to be a second edition in the future. (totally free of charge) 

• 3 weeks later...

TO: Brian

Thank you very much for your comment about my book.

Hi, Stephen:             You saw "currently unavailable" on Amazon?   Please try to go to Amazon again.  They should have one.  If you can not get one, I have extra copy.  Please let me know.

Hi, Mr. WiiFolstaff:  Thank you very much for mentioning my drawings.  But please keep in mind, those are only my drawing, the real Hamon may appear differently.

Hi, Ckaiserca:          You created a hardcover.  thank you.  It is wonderful.  I am still working with the alpha publishing company to create the hardcover.  They said it should be done by mid April.

but I was told the same thing so many times and nothing happened yet.  I hope this time is true.

Hi, Surfson:             You ordered hardbound on Burnes and Noble?  I did not know they sell hardcover.  How did it happen.  I did not know that.  Please double check it.  I received the

latest sample in late February.  This sample was printed by Barnes and Noble printer.  The Alpha publishing company told me the hardcover books will be ready by mid April.  

Where can I find the link Brian posted.  I will try that.  

Hi, Okan:                 The Alpha publishing company was supposed to do the design, that was part of the cost I paid, but they really messed up.  So in a hurry I did it.

I used the photos my father took many many years ago.  Those were his swords and he pasted his writing on it.  I deleted his writing off and filled in with red of word.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a few people already bought the Barnes & Noble hardcover copy.

I am sorry they are not the approved version, and off-centered front cover.

I just received a notice from Alpha publishing company that because of the Ukraine-Russia  war, 

the approved final hardcover book will be delayed again.

I have been writing to the Alpha publishing company to stop selling the hardcover, but they just don't

answer.  I may have to just leave it alone at this moment.  

Thank you very much for all your nice words.

Yurie 

Maybe I can help a bit. First, I solute the people who want to write books and have the educational aptitude.

The issue with print, it's dead, If you're selling 50,000 with a 1st run addition, that's not going to be economically viable. 

It's like QVC. the burden of sales and shipment costs is on you, If you don't sell how ever the contract reads (there benefit ) you're on the hook 

Nihonto may run 5,000 and that's REALLY pushing it. Like I explained, this is not economically viable.

I implore whomever look into digital books and video thru paid prescription website. You can even use subtitles of other languages,  

Nihonto collectors are mainly older and more old-school. I think that most want printed versions, rather than electronic.
Also, electronic is easy to pirate.
Nothing wrong with going digital, I love my Sesko eBooks. But in this case, I completely understand why Yurie went this way and think it's great. And I am very sure she didn't do it for the profit. She just loves sharing Nihonto knowledge.

9 hours ago, Brian said:

Nihonto collectors are mainly older and more old-school. I think that most want printed versions . . . 

I'm a youngin' and I still prefer printed books!:thumbsup:

The only one I'll have to get the PDF version is Roger Robertshaw's Hizen book. The discontinued print version costs the same as a nice Type 95 NCO. 

I do have the softcover of Yurie's book and it's loads of important information. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 9:53 AM, Brian said:

Nihonto collectors are mainly older and more old-school. I think that most want printed versions, rather than electronic.
Also, electronic is easy to pirate.
Nothing wrong with going digital, I love my Sesko eBooks. But in this case, I completely understand why Yurie went this way and think it's great. And I am very sure she didn't do it for the profit. She just loves sharing Nihonto knowledge.

I'm early 30s with lots of catching up to do. Lol. 

@yuriealready added to my collection. I might be the youngest reader yet 

Regards 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/19/2022 at 4:19 PM, yurie said:

I saw a few people already bought the Barnes & Noble hardcover copy.

I am sorry they are not the approved version, and off-centered front cover.

I just received a notice from Alpha publishing company that because of the Ukraine-Russia  war, 

the approved final hardcover book will be delayed again.

I have been writing to the Alpha publishing company to stop selling the hardcover, but they just don't

answer.  I may have to just leave it alone at this moment.  

Thank you very much for all your nice words.

Yurie 

Hello Yurie!

I just found out about your book and would love to get it as an ebook so I can search terms easily haha! I tried buying it on Amazon but it says only the paperback edition is available. Could I buy the digital edition from you please?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, amarie said:

Hello Yurie!

I just found out about your book and would love to get it as an ebook so I can search terms easily haha! I tried buying it on Amazon but it says only the paperback edition is available. Could I buy the digital edition from you please?

Thanks!

The ebook is available on Amazon (at least in the UK) - however, due to rules about buying ebooks through apps (a Google Play policy), you have to go to the website to buy the ebook:

https://www.amazon.c.../gp/aw/d/B0BXLT7VRN/

Screenshot_20240218-061123~2.png

Screenshot_20240218-061450~2.png

Anybody interested in buying an E-book, can go to my website and read it for free.

www.studyingjapaneseswords.com

I am in the process of changing the publishing company.

It is taking longer than I expected.  but once it is done, no more problems, I hope.

It has been a nightmare.

Thank you very much for interested in reading my book

I really appreciate it.

Yurie 

• Like 2

On 2/18/2024 at 1:08 AM, Mikaveli said:

The ebook is available on Amazon (at least in the UK) - however, due to rules about buying ebooks through apps (a Google Play policy), you have to go to the website to buy the ebook:

https://www.amazon.c.../gp/aw/d/B0BXLT7VRN/

Screenshot_20240218-061123~2.png

Screenshot_20240218-061450~2.png

Hi Mikaveli, i do see the ebook version but as soon as I log into amazon, that option disappears unfortunately, but thank you for the info you provided.