WWII Sword? Is it real?

NetNinja

Hello everyone,

Came across this sword, hopefully someone can help me out with the translation spent about 2 hours trying to decipher the writing on a website that showed a number of signatures, but no luck.

The signature looks so crude compared to so many other beautiful sword signatures I have seen.

20220205_214404.thumb.jpg.1c5c9c310478d85163473d5e5ee7d946.jpg20220205_214356.thumb.jpg.f9d4845c35ad13b1c917b625a4766dbe.jpg

Interesting, it was mounted in an Army NCO scabbard and handle with the correct Tsuba.

The blade needs to be cleaned and polished badly. Can barely make out the hamon and the blade is plain and the tip is barely defined.

Some chipping of the blade edge and sharp as hell, I know enough not to screw with edged weapons so it hasn't drawn any blood from me, so far ;)

I've held a few real Japanese swords but that's all. Maybe you could shed some light on this for me? Age of the sword?

20220204_122941.jpg

20220205_223808.jpg

20220205_223930.jpg

20220205_223838.jpg

20220205_224252.jpg

20220205_224514.jpg

There were over 1,000 sword/antique shops operating in Japan during the war, selling swords.  Many had older blades which they outfitted with military fittings.  Additionally, many young officers brought family swords to the war, which were then re-fitted.  And finally, the military made a couple of big efforts to buy family swords, or get folks to donate them, for the war effort.  These would have all be re-fitted.

• Like 1

Excellent!

Thank you all for the information!

Who would be the best person to send this off to to get this sword back to it's natural state of beauty?

Sending it back to Japan (Which I know is probably the best) might not be the best thing to do since the time and shipping costs.

I saw someone advertise online that is located in Portland Oregon who does restorations.

Any stateside recommendations?

Arnie

where are you located?  i searched NMB and found this "Takeo Seki is fully trained and lives in British Columbia Canada. " as i recall he has connections in WA

hopefully you are restoring it as it has sentimental value. If you are thinking of the economic end then i doubt a polish makes sense, you will have more invested than you could sell it for.  This is just my opinion form a few pictures.

• Like 1

Arnie,

Oh no, I am not going to sell this. I had been looking for one of these for years and I stumbled across this one.

Lot's of them show up at Gun shows and auctions but I never trust any of those venues due to hype and the overzealousness of the bidding process and shills.

The sword was leaning up against a wall and the handle was pulled almost completely off, it looked like a crooked walking stick.

Possibly the Estate sale people took a picture of the signature and sent it off to somebody to determine it's value. I've been to enough estate sales to know there are lots of junk items that look old. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..