Mokko-Gata Tsuba - origin?

Grevedk

Dear NMB members,

I am in need of help to identify the origins (history, name of artist, place of manufacture) if possible on the Tsuba pictured below - unless it’s a fake / copy.

The Cleveland Museum of Art have a very similar sword guard (Tsuba) with “Dragon in storm and sea”, Japan and possible Edo period, in their collection with a citation from NMB (some of you) saying: “Edo Higo Kumagai work done in the style of Shimizu Jingo?”

The Tsuba in my care is made of iron (magnetic) and it measures approximately 7,7 cm x 8,4 cm. It has a motive of a dragon in a storm with lightning, clouds and waves. The yellow metal appears to be inlaid gold (not confirmed) as it seems very well positioned in the iron. Both the Kozuka-Bitsu-Ana and the Kogai-Bitsu-Ana are of the same “distinct” form which I haven’t seen on that many Tsuba’s before (really only on the one from the Cleveland Museum.

I would greatly appreciate any of you comments on this subject.

Best regards

Soren

(new member from Denmark)

97B3A9ED-9508-4BD6-A85D-02660ACBFB18.jpeg

Soren, in the case of your example it is the shape of the seppa-dai that points toward Hizen. Hizen are often confused with Namban/Nanban from whom it is believed Hizen drew their designs. Not all Hizen had this Namban style seppa-dai but from what I can find Higo never had Namban style seppa-dai.

So your piece would fit Hizen from the shape of seppa-dai - if you had one with a standard Japanese seppa-dai we would still be debating which school to attribute.

image.thumb.png.2a8af50a10e1f85636dca3488a6db85b.png

More knowledgeable members feel free to correct me!

• Like 2

Les, any images with a similar seppa-dai? I had a look but can't find an example. Also what about the niku around the hitsu-ana, any Higo like that? Comparable images might help Soren to narrow it down. I am not an expert on either school so I am just going on visual similarities. Wouldn't brand names have been helpful! :laughing:

Re the distinct hitsu shape. You see that in some of the Nanban tsuba like this one:

image.png.4a195220c398a6e1d4e57958c2aa4cc2.pngimage.png.5c98150a7603446db020fc8da069dadd.png

I think the motif is supposed to be a lotus flower petal, which is a common motif found around the inside of the mimi of some of the early Chinese guards (like these two) that inspired much of the Nanban-style:

These two Chinese guard images are from Mandarin Mansion online... a great info resource

image.png.886e42146f0fd6af86700d1ff8bbf04f.pngimage.png.d18f6de2c40d2f6a6a810f1f6a7c3aa8.png

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Again thank you all for taking time to respond. Dale - your pictures and detailed comments are very much appreciated as they put me on a new path (and possible understanding) on how to distinguish between different regions.

I have found several descriptions of similarities that could point to Higo province (Shimizu Jingo I - III or Kumasi) such as:

• size
  • thickness 
  • round edges 
  • no sukashi cuts
  • chocolate color patina
  • clear traces of Nunome Zogan
  • leaf of spades form of the Kozuka- and Kogai-Bitsu-Ana

807A8244-9C34-415D-A6ED-664D082CB05B.thumb.jpeg.0cb7082565cc98b269421439e36a4c86.jpeg

but the dragon motif seems a bit gaudy (or flashy), and it somehow resembles the dragon in Disney’s Mulan - so maybe 🤔 there is a slight chance that the maker of this Tsuba let himself be inspired by Hizen (or Namban) 🤓

But wow - I am beginning to really enjoy this quest and opportunity to learn from somebody who have been doing this for some time.

Thank you.

😎

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..