NBTHK moving into technological era

Great news and About time. It's hard to conceive that such an advanced technologically nation delayed this for so long but I get it - it is a money making machine! Lost papers is their favorite probably :)

J.

Well, they never asked me for my email, in response to Wolfmanreid. Even though, I have previously done online monthly kantei, so theoretically they should have it.  But there are two other pages with my personal info that I did not attach. In there I have logins and my email will feature in the online profile. 

What I also find impressive is the letter is dated 26 Jan and I received it on 1 Feb, so quite fast. 

And also on one of the pages there is an email address of an actual individual too! So I don’t need to send them faxes anymore ;)  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am glad to see that others got this message and found it as - potentially - positive.

Truth to tell, I had more questions than answers after getting the letter.They WILL accept international shinsa submissions, BUT I am not sure HOW that will be done. Will the organization oversee the toroku and transport? We will still need an agent, right?

It strikes me that bringing a shinsa team TO THE SWORDS (!) would be a much easier way of managing international shinsa.

Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i got the following EMAIL  (haha not snail mail)

All,

I wanted to make sure that there is not any misunderstanding on the most recent letter you may have/will receive in the mail from the NBTHK Japan.

The letter you received in the mail introduces the ability to register online for items that you will want submit for shinsa in Japan. Part of this process is to set up your account at the home office of the NBTHK Japan. It is important to understand that this is a different process from our NBTHK American Branch website and account structure. They are completely separate and not connected in any fashion.

There may be some confusion on this issue for many so if there are any questions, feel free to reach out to me for clarification.

We will be posting some additional information about how this online process will work. I will send out a not to all with a link once this is completed. If you are contemplating sending items for registration, I would still go through your existing agent, who will be more familiar with the interim procedures.  

Best regards,

Nick Kolick

Asst VP – NBTHK American Branch

Peter, one has to start somewhere. We all learnt to walk by stumbling and falling first. 
yes, you will need someone who handles the sword but if you were in Japan, you would not need to deal with paperwork - so they are going sort of paperless. 
Also, you can view the results online rather than wait for the post office to send the letter to your agent, who then calls or emails you to let you know the result. 

Yes, it would be convenient if they did travel to us and the US is spoilt with the NTHK regularly doing the rounds there but the NBTHK has enough “domestic” business to frankly worry about travelling internationally. They can barely handle their own volumes as it is. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..