My First bargain of the year Star stamp Niwa Kanehisa

vfc

it looks like the shinogi has been rounded and the yokote is gone.     Unless this is dirt cheap,  I would pass.   Sooner or later, when you realise what a decently polished sword looks like, you will become frustrated with it.   Kanehisa is a good smith.  However, this really does need a professional polish, which even in America would cost a couple of K.   I would consider, is the sword worth the cost of the restoration?   If not I would definitely pass.  

• Thanks 2

I've always like the longer kissaki look. 

It's also interesting to see a clear effort by the smith to keep cranking out quality work  that late in the war (Feb '45).  We see so much "late-war" poor quality blades, and yet here was a guy still putting his all into his work.  Love it.

Can't tell from the photo, is that a double latch button, or a single? 

• Like 2

I humbly disagree with David. Any RTJ sword in fair to good condition is a good buy if the price is reasonable. They will hold their value and are lovely to look at. Last of the wartime handmade swords. Even as an item of militaria, they have considerable interest.

I know there is some kind of fear that someone buys it when you ask for opinions here before you purchase but if you have concerns its better to not get the deal then.

I wish you luck for the next deal and maybe someday you have the money to waste on a professional polish for this blade or you can sell it without too much loss.

This isn't a piece of crap. I don't know what you paid but it is something I would buy, I nearly bought a fire damaged RTJ which to most is worthless just to save it from poor care / being lost. The polish on yours is brash sure and I'm not a big fan of that but there's plenty to like about it other than the polish

I've bought a lot worse swords simply because I've wanted them. I'm sad you've changed your mind and think that your purchase isn't good and is s**t. 

It all depends on your collecting goals though. Think back to why you originally wanted it. those reasons haven't changed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And this is one of them.  Vittorio, Many owners are quite proud to own a star-stamped blade in beat-up condition, scratched, used, and abused in the field.  Yours is in far better condition that any of that.  Don't be bothered by the opinions of the polish.  It is still quite beautiful.  A star-stamped RJT blades is Nihonto.  And this is a nice one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vittorio, depends on your collecting objectives and the price. It is a good swordsmith, it is a traditionally made sword, but as outlined by others has some issues with polish, and probable acid treatment. In my opinion, buying it because it is a star stamp, is akin to buying a sword for the signature and not the blade, that is if you are buying it for a quality blade. 

BUT, if you are interested in it as a piece MILITARIA, the mounts are nice, and putting aside the issues with the polish, and if the price is right, it is a reasonable starting point for collecting Gendai-to, provided you are not looking for perfection. Your tastes will change with knowledge and experience. 

• Like 4

Good blade, good smith and a real RJT. But bad polish with lost lines and acid. I have my doubts that the blade was made for this koshirae (did the second mekugi fit on the nakago? Peg hole on the tsuka looks empty?)

How much you paid for it Vittorio? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..