Can I get some help to identify these stamps

Oliver

Hello to all. I’m hoping I may be able to get some help in identification of the stamps on this katana blade. I’m seeking personal knowledge about the blade.  I think it may be out of my field at this point, but I’m sure the required information will be stored as I look to this facet of starting a collection. It is my belief that another handle was placed on the katana during service in ww2.  I have been led to believe the blade Pre-dates that era.  So if anyone can help me I would be very grateful. I have included pics of blade. 
thankfully Oliver 

C3F0C54D-517F-4709-B0A0-2CC2C642A26B.jpeg

2671A49C-DB22-4F43-9C49-2328F7B60097.jpeg

CC3E848D-017B-45E8-B24D-D3D23AE17475.jpeg

6059F587-02F2-4ECD-B42F-EBE993231D74.jpeg

70F8EFC6-EFE7-413B-8CA1-F2FD6C3A54B7.jpeg

710ACAA7-8893-4B41-BCA5-D89DEA1724D9.jpeg

Hi Oliver!

One of the translation magicians will give you a full breakdown of the mei (signature).  I'm jumping in to ask for a couple of shots of the full "naked" blade, and pics of the fittings.  From the edges of a couple of these it looks like you've got one of the fairly rare canvas-covered scabbards. 

雲州囗囗住金昌 

Unshū ? ? -jū Kanemasa saku

Made by Kanemasa of ?? in Unshū

Unshū is a location in Japan (modern-day Shimane Prefecture). I'm guessing this is the Showa (wartime) era smith Kanemasa, who also worked under the name Norimitsu. I can't make out the kanji in the middle. It should be a city or town name. There are records of him signing as 雲州大東住小池金昌作, which is close to the inscription on your sword, but not an exact match. How significant the difference is, I do not know, but I bet it's the same person. The inscription isn't stamped into the sword. Its inscribed, or carved into the tang by the smith or on of his apprentices.

• Like 3

Thanks for the info so far, I will upload more pics of the blade, fittings, ect…. As soon as I get enough time to take a few more. I really look forward to the breakdown of the sword smiths carving insignia’s.  I was wondering why it was so difficult to get a clear photo of the stamps. Once again thank you and I’ll get some more pics up soon.

Hi once again. Bruce you asked me for some other photos of the blade and fittings, I apologise for taking so long to put them on here.  So if you require that I get photos of different angles please let me know.

Oliver

B94C92E3-9509-4199-9798-3D44D0421CE5.jpeg

F0B6F6A7-8DC6-4D7F-8426-9ED85B8BFC4E.jpeg

4CC144BB-AEDC-4497-B1D8-4196611E3B41.jpeg

BBB518CB-FA7D-4848-BE11-47BF2DAAB0AE.jpeg

7DD33D46-00BD-4ABA-B5C8-4B640EA3CAA9.jpeg

• Thanks 1

The blessing and the curse of nihonto and gunto is that once the mekugi is removed, it's all yours to do with as you wish.... This includes swapping parts out to personal taste or replacement of the missing. The tsuba could be a replacement from any time since 1945.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..