My first sword, 1943 Type 98 Shin Gunto by Imai Sadashige

Koryu

Hello, I just purchased my first sword after looking for a nice WW2 officer sword. The polish looks alittle rough but still a nice sword. I may have it repolished to make it nice, just wanted to say hi and see what everyone's thoughts were.

20220122_204036.jpg

20220122_200319.jpg

20220122_200307.jpg

20220122_202854.jpg

• Like 2

James, you have picked up a very good sword there Sadashige June 1943 and looks to be in very good fittings.  Recognised as a top level swordsmith.  Blade looks in fine condition, do NOT get a polish done.  By a sword cleaning kit to powder then oil only.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, mecox said:

James, you have picked up a very good sword there Sadashige June 1943 and looks to be in very good fittings.  Recognised as a top level swordsmith.  Blade looks in fine condition, do NOT get a polish done.  By a sword cleaning kit to powder then oil only.

I appreciate that! The blade looks better in pictured admittedly,  but I dont see any major flaws. Just some scuffs and scratches. I have read and heard that Imai Sadashige was an excellent smith, unfortunately I can't find a whole lot of info about him. 

29 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Sesko shows a father and son, don't know how to tell which one yours was made by:

sadashige.jpg

Mine is the top one, signed as Taira Sadashige. I did not know his son was a Smith too

A pic he shared, hes not talking a full polish,just a touch up to remove scratches wiped, and pop jihada.

Woody's not doing gunto or gendiato any more, I recommended Ted T. Jimmy H is great but I don't think he wants to wait 4 years.

Anyway it would  awesome cleaned up. Love them ashi.received_670294427319754.thumb.jpeg.c9a26d371ae6afafbfcc436f13ef149b.jpeg

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, vajo said:

James your sword is still perfect. Do nothing. The wartime polish is absolut ok and looks very nice. A very fine sword from an well known and high rated swordsmith. Congrats.

Thanks Chris, I looked at it again last night and it is better than alot of other Guntos I have been seeeing. So I see what you mean

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..