Lieutenant level police sword

wiktor69

Hello everyone,

this police sword came to my collection not so long ago.

I have not seen such markings on the blade before.
It is clear that this is a symbol of the police and the kanji 梶.
What do you think is the name of the customer or manufacturer?
On all other parts of this sword there are no marks other than assembly strokes.
The scabbard does not have wooden parts, it is equipped with flat springs like in German bayonets.

The photo with the police shows a symbol of two crossed national flags. It is different from the symbol of the armed forces.

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

src_22875275.1.jpg

On 1/25/2022 at 11:50 PM, wiktor69 said:

What do you think is the name of the customer or manufacturer?

The older swords are hit or miss in regards to company logos.  If they do have one, it is usually located at the front of the brass crossguard.  See link below for an example.  I do not have access to my reference books at the moment so I can not comment further on the sword.

Arsenal Stamps., Page #11

The picture is dated 大正十五年十二月二十一日 =  1926-12-21.

• Thanks 1

I like it.  The flags on the ricasso alarmed me at first because this is a common item you will see in Chinese fakes.  But the sword looks  legitimate to me.  There was a tremendous amount of variations with the Type 8/19, so the addition of the flags is not a surprise, and if anything, adds to the unique quality of the piece. 

I cannot read Japanese, so someone else will have to help with the kanji.

• 1 month later...

The following are the characters that come before the date.  I am missing one, denoted by a X, and will need @BANGBANGSAN to take a look at it.  A good many of these characters are old style and one will need to convert them to the new style so as to translate or research online.

Old Japanese Kanji to New Japanese Kanji Converter

第一四九囘警察官部乙科練習生修X記念.

Thanks Victor for your translation help and for tracking down that Mantetsu in Russia.

2 hours ago, Kiipu said:

The following are the characters that come before the date.  I am missing one, denoted by a X, and will need @BANGBANGSAN to take a look at it.  A good many of these characters are old style and one will need to convert them to the new style so as to translate or research online.

Old Japanese Kanji to New Japanese Kanji Converter

第一四九囘警察官部乙科練習生修X記念.

Thanks Victor for your translation help and for tracking down that Mantetsu in Russia.

第一四九囘(警察官部乙科練習生修記念.

了=終了/了結=終結/完結= Finish

• Thanks 1

Thanks Trystan for the assist.  Seems so obvious now that you point it out!  For the Japanese pronunciation, you get what is below!

練習生 = = renshūsei = student, trainee, apprentice.

修了 = shūryō = completion.

記念 = kinen = commemoration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..