Meiji era enamelled spoon

Baka Gaijin

Malcolm, if you can put up with some ramblings for a moment, I can offer a potential line of enquiry/inquiry.

One of the fashionable words in Yokohama in early Meiji was カメ.  This was based on Westerners walking their dogs on the Bund and shouting "Ca'mere!!!". It sounded like the Japanese Kame, and indeed there was an amusing craze/fashion in Yokohama for people to name their dogs 'Kame'.  The third character is 丼 don, suggesting that the sign may be for a restaurant called 'Kame Don', not that they actually served turtle but that the name was still amusing in 1880, and in Katakana to indicate a foreign word. 

There are weaknesses to this explanation, however. I have not made an effort to locate such a restaurant by a bridge on an old map. Why is the sign rounded at the ends, giving the impression of an artist's seal? And what does the last Katakana character ト indicate? I started looking but soon gave up, finding possible *leads but nothing solid.

Scruffle this up and chuck it in the bin as you please.

Offered in true humility,

Your fiend, etc.

*The sound Donto ドント (丼ト?) conjures up the sound of the Donto Matsuri, Kyushu-ben 'donto' after which some eateries are named, and katakana for the English word 'don't', rendered as 'donto'. Some kind of clever word play here?

OK, I promise not to dig this hole any deeper! :laughing:

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..