Bit by the Collector's Bug

Cookie4Monstah

Greetings everyone,

I just acquired these four swords in a trade with a gentleman on Cape Cod a few hours ago, and wanted to share a few photos with you before I bust out the polishing wheel *(cough). They are dirty and need to be cleaned. I'll post a few more detailed photos after I dust them off. Feel free to comment on what you see so far.

Best,

Khalid

4DB15627-A858-4B8F-BA14-E025F3314904.jpeg

Rule 1 of nihonto: Absolutely do not, ever, do any work to improve them yourself beyond what some gentle soap and water, high-purity isopropyl alcohol, and fresh oil can do. You will hear everyone tell you to not touch them with a buffing wheel of any kind. A polishing/buffing wheel can and will destroy nihonto.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

Rule 1 of nihonto: Absolutely do not, ever, do any work to improve them yourself beyond what some gentle soap and water, high-purity isopropyl alcohol, and fresh oil can do. You will hear everyone tell you to not touch them with a buffing wheel of any kind. A polishing/buffing wheel can and will destroy nihonto.

Hi ChrisW,

I was jesting about the polishing wheel.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

Can never be too sure! Sarcasm and jesting doesn't always translate well online.

But you'll also hear to not lay your swords on the floor. Have you invested in some sword pillows yet? If not, I highly suggest! :)

I'm actually just starting to look around for pillows and bags. Any recommendations as to good quality ones would be appreciated.

It appears that the nakago of all four blades are unsigned. I do want to note an observation that one of the katana (in military mounts) is substantially heavier than the other two. I tried to collectively photograph the nakago for you to view but the size of the image is too big to upload. It will need to be sized down.

28 minutes ago, Smee78 said:

What a way to enter into Nihonto, congrats on the new additions. Four swords all at once with different character, did the previous care taker have any stories for any of the swords?

Hi Smee78,

This is a small assortment of swords that came from one source. The former care taker obtained them from various individuals and estates in the local area. Unfortunately there were no stories to be exchanged. 

20 hours ago, Cookie4Monstah said:

I'm actually just starting to look around for pillows and bags. Any recommendations as to good quality ones would be appreciated.

I understand the bug all too well. JakeNYC makes great sword pillows. He has a thread going, just search sword pillows and it will pop up. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..