An RS gunto, mumei … for George T

paulatim

Further to your comment, George, on your “celluloid same” thread, I have made a new post to show my new (and first) “RS” shin-gunto.

Today I closely examined the nagako under strong magnification. I wasn’t expecting find anything other than the painted characters which showed on the former owner’s pics, so I was delighted to discover a “Gifu-in-sakura” stamp! (thank you Bruce P, for your excellent article).

Whilst the blade may not be particularly interesting to many, I’m very happy to have this well-preserved example.  For me these RS represent much more than what one sees at face-value :-)

I’ve attached a number of pics.

Regards to all.

Paul

Japanese RS nakago u tsuka JAN22.jpg

Japanese RS stamp3 JAN21.jpg

Japanese RS stamp2 JAN21.jpg

Japanese RS painted characters nagako JAN22.jpg

Japanese RS painted characters nagako2 JAN22.jpg

Japanese RS blade JAN22.jpg

Japanese RS blade3 JAN22.jpg

Japanese RS Jan21.jpg

Japanese RS JAN22.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Well, Paul, Trystan, Dan...I've been 'into' WWII gunto full-on for 20 years and I have never seen an unsigned/undated RS. As your mumei example is "Gi" stamped Dan, it is clear it went through the manufacturing procedure according to the rules.

So, interesting...nice example too.

Thanks...again, with Japanese swords, never say never and never say always!

Regards,

• Like 1
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, george trotter said:

Well, Paul, Trystan, Dan...I've been 'into' WWII gunto full-on for 20 years and I have never seen an unsigned/undated RS. As your mumei example is "Gi" stamped Dan, it is clear it went through the manufacturing procedure according to the rules.

So, interesting...nice example too.

Thanks...again, with Japanese swords, never say never and never say always!

Regards,

My friend had a better fitting RS with a mumei blade,  it seems arsenal made with the number. There is another one just like he's, and has a very close number.

s-l1600 (9).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

WechatIMG8049.jpeg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

WechatIMG8050.jpeg

Interesting. Are both of these gendaito? - yours especially Trystan  looks RJT quality but with no mei - strange. Both in good quality fittings.

Those RS mounts are the type usually seen on swords made in the Osaka-Kyoto-Hyogo region of the RJT scheme...my type (see pic)  of "fat/plain/no hanger or chape type scabbards I have seen about 5-6 times....maybe intended for leather or canvas cover to have hanger loop? These made in same area).

I have seen two (see pic) from Kyoto by Kunihide and both were August 1944 and both had small numerals stamped on the nakago mune...mine has 98 and the other has 90. The numbers seem the same size, position and 'layout' as yours - except these do not have the number '1' (smith's tally number?) stamped beside them.

I know Bruce has a 'table' of tang numbers (I seem to remember) he has collected, so I think maybe this is one more mystery  for Bruce - Sherlock to look into? (I haven't got a pic of the tang mune number on mine Bruce but just say the word and I can do one for you).

Regards,

Kunihide OA.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, george trotter said:

Interesting. Are both of these gendaito? - yours especially Trystan  looks RJT quality but with no mei - strange. Both in good quality fittings.

Those 2 wood saya RS, one is my friend's, one is from the internet. Both are not likely Gendai but arsenal blade.
The one I use to have is in the metal saya cheaper version, not Gendai blade, but I forgot if there is any arsenal mark or numbers on the tang, it was a long time ago.

3 hours ago, george trotter said:

mall numerals stamped on the nakago mune...mine has 98 and the other has 90.

George,

I have both of those, plus more, but I got them from your survey and don't have photos on file.  If it's possible, I'd love to get the photos.

Here are the charted numbers I have, like this on the mune.  There seem to be a different stamping practice with the "1", "2", and "3" (there is a "6" on file too) combined with an arsenal stamp.  My suspicion is something like "inspector 1" "inspector 2" or "inspection 1 or 2" because several blades are found with the same number + arsenal stamp.  The larger numbers seem to have a different function, for they are nearly perfectly linear.  Only a couple on record out of sequence.  The Nagamitsu numbering seems to be in it's own class, tied to the smith.

@george trotter - a question about the Mitsunobu(Teruhide) mei from one of your articles, in a kaigunto - Sesko only lists one Showa era Mitsunobu but he's not "Teruhide".  And none of the older era Mitsunobu listed are Teruhide.  Is it possible this guy is the Showa Kaneda Mitsuhiro (金田光弘), listed by Sesko and the Teruhide has some other significance?  Sesko's was an RJT smith and that would align perfectly with the mune stamping practice we see with all the others.

1943, Feb

Kanetoshi (RJT) – Gifu

Na 30 on mune Star

Simpleman, NMB RS

1944, May

Masakuni (RJT) – Osada

78 on mune Star

Trotter Survey

1944, Jun

Masakuni (RJT) – Osaka

75 on mune Star

Volker62, NMB  RS

1944, Jul

Tomonari (RJT) – Kobe Hyogo

24 on mune Star

1944, Aug

Kunihide (RJT) – Kyoto

90 on mune

Trotter Survey

1944, Aug

Kunihide (RJT) – Kyoto

98 on mune

Trotter Survey

1944, Aug

Kunihide (RJT) – Kyoto

99 on mune

Trotter Survey

ND

Mitsunobu(Teruhide)

707 on mune

UniqueJapan.com; kaigunto

ND

Nagamitsu (RJT)

313 on mune

Ooitame; NMB, RS

ND

Nagamitsu (RJT)

695 on mune

Spidersrule123,NMB,RS

ND

Nagamitsu (RJT)

2005 on mune

Reeder, NMB

ND

Nagamitsu (RJT)

2205 on mune

Roromush, NMB, RS

ND

Nagamitsu (RJT)

1 saka 3490 on mune

Vajo; NMB

ND

Nagamitsu (RJT)

3973 on mune

IJASWORDS, NMB broken heart seppa

ND

Nagamitsu (RJT)

13991 on mune

mauser99; NMB

ND

Toyo Knife Co; Shinbo “Bravely Brandish”

510 on mune;

“S” on mune

Paul Griff, NMB; “10” on fittings

• Like 2

Bruce,

Camera playing up, this is the best I could do.

This is the Kunihide 98 you have on your list.

The Kunihide 90 is a pic I saw on a 1991 NBTHK  Hozon paper...but it is too vague to see let alone copy....sorry.

The Kunihide 99 is just another one I noticed on some US site....didn't copy...sorry.

The size, location, style was the same on all three though.

Hope this helps.

About the Mitsunobu/Teruhide...sorry, can't recall article now...any link?

Takashima Kunihide Kyoto 1944 tang 98.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, vajo said:

Dan that sword looks assembled together from parts and it is not Type3.

The ito maki looks made by an amateur

I noticed the poor quality of this as well, but wondered if this is truely one of the "last-ditch" pieces rushed into use. Possibly forged and assembled outside of Japan.

Thanks for the link Dan. Gut feeling is ... ummm...nothing to get excited about!

Hard to tell much due to poor quality/small size of pics. Blade looks good-ish, tang too rusty/rough to tell much on age etc.

Scabbard and  tsuba definitely non-military, only hilt fuchi/kashira are RS....one hole in tang?, can't see any sign of a peg hole in the hilt...overall verdict...not RS. 

Might be a private sword 'militarised' for field use.

Regards,

• Like 1

These are really puzzling to me.  The blade and kissaki look really good:

8.thumb.jpg.06eb267c80b5dcb753783ab3bc6974db.jpg

But the nakago are horrid.

5.thumb.jpg.635ce71e271645a8df39fc9ad46a0525.jpg6.thumb.jpg.56cb1416e7bc9b85218e584f81d19ea5.jpg

I might lean toward Dan's @DTM72 idea, as this blade doesn't look Japanese, but rather off-mainland made.  With Nick Komiya's post in mind about mainland sword production being almost totally wiped out in the last year of the war and production being forced over to occupied territories.  If the blade were crap, I'd even lean toward total fakery, but it looks appropriately aged for WWII, so I'm 51% at a combination of George's and Corry's thoughts - civil tsuba/saya, late war tsuka, island-made blade.  In other words, a late-war, work with what you've got, sword.

s-l1600.jpg

8 hours ago, george trotter said:

that is one H--l of a rough hammered tang!...hard to believe it has a reasonably good blade on the other end...

I feel the same about my RS...it has hammer marks still on it! From the habaki to the kissaki it is beautiful. Single mekugi-ana as well.

Could it be that these were rough forged and rough shaped in occupied territory, then shippied to the mainland for final polish and fitting? The polish on mine is a good WWII type polish. Definitely not an amateur type polish.

6 hours ago, DTM72 said:

Could it be that these were rough forged and rough shaped in occupied territory, then shippied to the mainland for final polish and fitting? The polish on mine is a good WWII type polish. Definitely not an amateur type polish.

That is a hard one Dan. I can only give you my opinion on this. Personally, based on a lifetime study of WWII swords, I really feel that the domestic Japan military showa sword industry did manage to struggle through and kept producing up until August 1945...yes the NCO sword patterns did get more 'economical' in their manufacture as the war progressed, but they seem to have carried on. In the case of Type 98 however, there was no real evidence of 'cutting corners' on parts quality etc and other than the intro of the RS 'optional choice" (still classed as a Type 98) in 1941 the Type 98 stayed generally common and good quality...the dates on the tangs should give evidence that that Type 98 and RS went through til Aug? 1945 (maybe members with 1945 tangs could comment and/or post? - or maybe already on Bruce's lists?).

While some other 2 or 3 posts (Trystan) show a mumei RS sword, what is shown here is not a RS...just the use of some RS hilt fittings .

Where/how/by whom yours blade was made is unknown...I don't 'feel' it was  overseas. Blade production in Japan was going OK to 1945 I think.

I say this as I have a  RS study book that gives the monthly RJT sword output of  a RJT smith I have between 14/8/1944 - 26/2/1945 (about 10/month, as per the RJT rules). Another comment has smiths still doing their payment account paperwork up to 8/1945...so the RJT scheme lasted to the very end of the war it seems. So, I think it wise to assume that the Japanese WWII sword industry overall operated  OK in Japan from 1930s-1945.

Of course some 'oddities' came in from occupied areas (hobby swords as in Fuller & Gregory?) and the well-known Manchurian industrial setup...but I don't see any evidence for a 'back-up' industry overseas. I can't explain the one you ask about here, but I think it was made local in Japan. Just a point of interest...it is only in the last 6 months that I have seen evidence on NMB of unsigned, rough tang, 1 hole tangs on RS swords...after 50+ years!...I don't think 2 or 3 swords of this type after 50 odd years is evidence of an overseas back-up system....just don't know what it is evidence of...maybe just the 'never say never/ never say always' of Nihonto collecting..

Not much help I know, but don't forget "Okum's Razor" (the simplest answer is usually the right one)... in this case, simply an 'odd' WWII sword in 'cobbled together mix' of fittings...nothing more?

Regards,

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..