Rough Forged Nakago on Type 3 RS

DTM72

Just picked up a Type 3 this weekend with a beautiful blade that has a suguha hamon with a tight and thin nioi-guchi. Cannot make out any hada due to someone using what I suspect as never-dull. 

When examining the nakago, I have never seen one in such rough shape. Large hammer marks and it looks to be a 3"  long forging lamination near the mune midway on the length of the nakago.

Was this a late war handmade blade or remnants of a machine forge?

Dan

IMG_20220117_212150968.jpg

IMG_20220117_212223502.jpg

Gosh, just yesterday a RS with and unsigned blade was mentioned on another post...now you have picks of another one...amazing.

In 50 years of collecting I have never seen mumei tangs  in RS mounts and now ...2 in 2 days. Both mounts are 'low end' Seki RS mounts usually found on  showato.

Interesting. As they say, never say never with Japanese swords.

Regards,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, it's hurting my eyes!!!

Dang, two of these.  They must be late war.  With what we know about sword production being moved out of country in the last year, I wonder if these were made in occupied territory.  It's the first thing I thought about when I saw the "workmanship" of those nakago.

1 minute ago, Bruce Pennington said:

It's the first thing I thought about when I saw the "workmanship" of those nakago.

The look reminds me of the surface as it has been hammered, before the files and shavers make everything on a level plane. It is almost as if it was a rush job ...no one cares about the nakago... it's covered by the tsuka...get it out there where it belongs...hurry hurry!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DTM72 said:

IMG_20220118_222556873.jpg

Dan,

the way the TSUKA-ITO is done is not traditional. And if you watch a Japanese swordsmith forging a blade, you will see that even a raw NAKAGO is way more precise and nicer looking than this one even without finishing work with SEN and file. 
I cannot see much of a HAMON and HADA on these photos, but that may be due to my old eyes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..