Asai Uji

Grey Doffin

I don’t know this particular background story but the famous Azai family (infamously wiped out by Oda Nobunaga) were 浅井氏 Azai Uji. Uji means of noble birth, of high family, and also works as an honorific, like The Lord Azai, but may also mean the larger family including descendants.

• Like 1

Interesting and thanks all. I found this on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azai_clan  and this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azai_Nagamasa

Which leads to a question: if the Azai were obliterated by Nobunaga in the 16th century, can we assume Tadatsuna, who worked in the 17th century, was making the sword for a descendant who had no official position or did the remnants of the clan make a come back and reestablish importance?

Grey

Hello Grey,

Asai/Azai is Tadatsuna's own last name, and forms a part of his own signature on some swords. In Nobunaga's time there were several branches of the Asai/Azai, some who didn't face the same fate as the Azai who were persecuted by Nobunaga. Nowadays it is a relatively common last name. Uji means a kind of aristocratic clan name, much the same way that Fujiwara and Tachibana are clan names. 

Hopefully the above makes sense. 

• Like 2

Although I have not come across the word Soemei before, it reminds me of Hi and Soebi, a groove in a blade, and a groove with a parallel groove, in other words, an accompanying thing alongside. The dictionary looks back to ancient Greece and Rome, and suggests agnomen and cognomen, second or third names, nicknames, honorary names, etc.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..