Inoue Shinkai Or Gimei?

KuraiValo

There is a Wakizashi on ebay signed "Inoue Shinkai" and dated 1676. It seems one of those too good to be true so I assume this a decently made gimei. I would like to hear other opinions on it though. I would assume if it was a real Shinkai the seller would have it authenticated, but maybe I am completely wrong on this, thoughts?

Here is the Ebay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/S2J22-Japanese-Samurai-Sword-Shinkai-Wakizashi-in-Shirasaya-/165286197987?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Hi Jake, that seller deals in large volumes of low end swords from Japan. Swords that won't sell on the Japanese market so they offload them onto us poor oblivious westerners. You will usually get a real Japanese sword, but there won't be any hidden treasures as you are suggesting.

• Thanks 1

Hello Jake,

The style of the Mei from one side to the other does not seem to match, same goes for the patina inside each Mei, from side to side.

Signature side is square and blocky with shallow incised strokes, while the date side is arched and curved with deeply incised strokes.

It appears that each side were done by different people at different times.

My money is on Gemei.

Out of shear curiosity I bought a sword from this seller (super cheap, like $200), just to see for myself, what was up with his seemingly endless supply of swords. Verdict......yep, you get what you pay for.

Mark

• Thanks 1

I'll play devil's advocate if your friend thought he was actually buying a soshin for that price...well lets say i may have a thing or two for sale. Even though a little bit overpriced for a wak it is actually not so bad of sword. 

Seen a lot worse sold for more.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..