Naval Gunto Showa

Lareon

5 minutes ago, Ray Singer said:

Can you provide clearer photos? Off the cuff, this looks like 

Noshu ju Sadahiro saku 

Showa 17

I've added one more, but there's no other photos of the mei to upload that are any better. I'll have the sword in hand probably in a months time.  Thanks!

Tony,  Ray looks to have it as SADAHIRO with Showa 17 (1942).   However, its a bit interesting as Sesko lists as follows: "SADAHIRO (貞弘), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Sadahiro” (貞弘), real name Takai Shirō (高井四郎), born March 12th 1925, son of Sadatsugu (貞継)".

But in the Seki tosho registration list, there is a father and son both registered on Showa 16 (1941) April 11, and both reside at Seki-machi, Ippongi.   However, looks as though Sesko inadvertently combined them (easy to do in a massive list).

Father:    SADATSUGU 貞継   Takai Sadajiro   高井貞次郎    born Meiji 35 (1902)  May 24.

Son:    SADAHIRO 貞弘     Ikami Shiro   伊神四郎  born Taisho 14 (1925) March 12.

Interesting they have different family names, dad is 23 years older, could son be adopted?  Who knows.

• Like 3

Thomas, needs more pics to better understand it.  Yes the simple form of date.  Looks to be kaigunto saya.  Blade has Seki stamp.  Nakago and mei rather rough.   I used Sesko's e-version of swordsmith list (which is worth buying).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's some more pictures of the mounts and fittings.

I can't get any more photos of the nakago at the moment but when it arrives (a month ish) I can take some better photos than these

I bought it for the early Kaigunto mounts and sword hanger primarily

322.0.jpg

322.101.jpg

322.102.jpeg

322.103.jpeg

322.110.jpeg

322.117.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Tony,  looks like earlier war  better quality kaigunto koshirae.   Your blade has Seki stamp and kiri yasurime.  For comparison attached oshigata from F & G (1983): 1379578979_sadahiro--tsugu.thumb.jpg.e3ae3330ff4c0c04ac6cc7a2399ac3ed.jpg

Ikami Sadahiro is not in Hawley, but father Takai Sadatsugu is (SAD 780)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So with this information, if the sword was produced by Sadahiro in 1942 and he was born in 1925 then he was 17 when he made this sword, interesting

I will grab that e-book too although i kind of want the hardcover of it too so might wait and buy those - i think the ebook comes with that from what i saw on his website

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..