Brass handle NCO

DTM72

I am setting up at a military antique show and the only two Japanese swords in the place are right next to my table. One is has a painted Navy saya with leather bound Navy tsuka and Navy 3 plate tsuba. Blade is a Chinese replacement. Total crap.

The other is a numbers matching brass handle NCO. I know about Showa blades and Nihonto, but not much about NCO's. I know the copper handles are rare, but not familiar with brass handles. What is it worth?

@Bruce Pennington @george trotter @Kiipu

Thanks!

Now that I'm back to my computer, it seems that there should only be painted aluminum or the rare copper handle. On the brass handle version the font is different for the serial numbers and the bo-hi is low from the mune, and doesn't extend all the way to the kissaki.

Guess I'll pass on this one. Thanks guys! 

• Like 1

I passed on this one. Talking more with the seller, it sounds as if he got both swords on trade, thinking they were both authentic pieces.

On a good note though, I met a gentlemen at the show who today sold me 4 WWII swords. 

1. 1 Type 95 Wood handled NCO with matching numbers.
  2. 1 Type 98 that appears handmade, but need closer evaluation. Mumei nakago. Tsuka is NOT same' but sharkskin (tiny gray diamonds)
  3. 1 Type 44 Naval Landing with laquered ito. Mumei nakago but appears slightly suriage.
  4. 1 1937 pattern Navy Kai-gunto. Black laquered saya with stainless blade. Mumei but has anchor stamp. Not sure if real hamon, but one is present.

I will be very busy over the next couple days researching what I just got. Thanks to everyone who commented already, for saving me from the Chinese repro. I am pretty well-versed on Nihonto, Gendaito, and Showato, but know close to nothing about NCO's. Many thanks again!

7 minutes ago, Kiipu said:

Good show Dan!  Feel free to start a thread on your wood handled NCO.  We will be more than glad to give you our learned opinions about it.

I'll try to get some pics of everything tonight, and post tonight or tomorrow.

Now trying to figure out which one(s) the wife will let me keep. lol

• Like 1

@DTM72 - Dan, nice group, hope you can keep them all.

Check out this article on what is mistakenly called a “Navy landing sword.”  It’s Army, most of all.  The discussion explains the rest.  Looking forward to photos!

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/Japanese-militaria/legally-rebutting-existence-type-3-army-officers-sword-708745/

1 hour ago, Bruce Pennington said:

@DTM72 - Dan, nice group, hope you can keep them all.

Looking forward to photos!

I'm looking forward to taking the photos and the research. Wasn't sure what to call that one. One of my friends that I started collecting with 25 years ago had one like this. Folks back then called them "Marine Landing" swords. I know now that there was not a Marine force in Japan during WWII. I don't even want to start the arguement of Type 0, type 3, type 44, type 100. Read through that thread just now.....wow!

• 2 years later...

Ok, now I see what you mean!  @Stegel was following these for a while and has several he posted, as well.  They are like a battleship grey. 

You can see several examples on this conversation, varying in shades, but yours it there as well.  You can rest assured, yours is WWII legit.  No one knows who or why they were overpainted, though.

• Thanks 1