Shin-Gunto with Chiseled Mei - 4 Characters I can't figure out.

tbonesullivan

This is another one that has me really confused. It's a WWII Shin-Gunto, arsenal blade most likely, dated 1944. It is signed in the typical arsenal fashion, but for the life of me I can't figure out what actual name is. I have included my best guesses. If I could figure out characters 3 and 4 that would really help. As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

備 州 住 1 2 3 4 鍛 之- BISHU JU ? ? ? ?  KITAU KORE

1. 直 ? NAO? 真 ? SANE? 
2. 清? KIYO?  
3. 正 - MASA?
4. 永? Naga? 次 Tsugu?

on4061__32.jpg

on4061__12.jpg

on4061__14.jpg

on4061__15.jpg

on4061__16.jpg

11 minutes ago, mecox said:

David, looks like Masayasu (Mano as Makiyo)  also with "delta" punch, and very "chippy" cutting.  See this article page 38

AH! Now I see it! Due to the photo I couldn't quite make out the upper part of the YASU character. Also totally bungled the Province, but at least I got most of the other characters right. Interesting that MAKIYO was used on some blades. I wish I had better pictures. The "delta" stamp is also interesting as well.

尾 州 住 真 清 正 泰 鍛 之 - BISHU JU MAKIYO MASAYASU KITAU KORE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..