Help with Characters in Sukehide Wakizashi Mei & Nengo

tbonesullivan

This is one I handled about 5 years back. It came with translations of the tang, but I'm trying to get the Kanji for my list of swords I've looked at. Also one of the few where the hamon really showed up great with a flash.

The paper I got with it stated that it was signed BINGO MYOSHI JU SUKE HIDE , also known as TOKOYAMA SOZAMON.

That would be 備 後 三 良 住 祐 秀, from what I can tell. The Mei is somewhat worn on the tang. I can't really see if it's BIZEN or BISHU from the pictures. I'm also not sure what the correct Kanji for MIYOSHI would be. 

The nengo was given as MEIJI 3rd year, 2nd month, but the characters do not look like 明治 at all, especially the first one. I can see the second character being 治,  but the first is not a form of 明 I am familiar with.

on3854__03.jpg

on3854__04.jpg

on3854__05.jpg

on3854__11.jpg

on3854__13.jpg

on3854__31.jpg

on3854__32.jpg

on3854__33.jpg

on3854__15.jpg

Should be

備州三次住祐秀   ← Note a very quick search of the internet shows that he usually signed with 備後, but your sword says 備州. I don't know if this is significant for this smith. 

慶應三年  Keiō 3 (in calligraphic style of Keiō)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SteveM said:

Should be

備州三次住祐秀   ← Note a very quick search of the internet shows that he usually signed with 備後, but your sword says 備州. I don't know if this is significant for this smith. 

慶應三年  Keiō 3 (in calligraphic style of Keiō)

Thanks so much!!  I did find it now. Sesko's book uses the 慶応 form of "Kei-o", which does look a bit more similar to what is written on the blade.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..