Burmese officer's sword?

Kiipu

My transcription and translation of the sword markings are below.  The abbreviation R.S. stand for the Rattanakosin Era.

รัตนโกสินทรศก (ร.ศ.) = Rattanakosin Sok (R.S.) =  Rattanakosin Era.

Thai solar calendar

Year adopted or made: ร.ศ.๑๒๕. = R.S. 125 = 1906.

Blade serial number: ๔๗๙ = 479.

Blade edge markings: M. Neumann, Hoflieferant Berlin.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing Thomas,

It seems Japan and Thailand sourced items from Germany in the early days.

I have what i believe is a Japanese made "Type 32" style sword, made specifically for the Thai military.

Thought i'd share it here as it seems appropriate.

Hope you all enjoy.

13.jpg

A.jpg

02.jpg

05.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

2 hours ago, Stegel said:

I have what i believe is a Japanese made "Type 32" style sword, made specifically for the Thai military.

F&G discuss the Japanese catalogue for exporting arms and suggest this infers the exportation and adoption of the Type 32 by foreign militaries. I know they also mention (briefly) Type 32 with foreign military acceptance marks, but damned if I can find the exact reference. It's somewhere in one of their books, I'll keep looking and post when I find it. This example would (I assume) be one of those briefly mentioned swords with foreign military marks. Very cool to see, especially since I love 32s almost as much as 95s.

Sorry i found nothing about M. Neumann Berlin "Hoflieferant". I found a lot of pictures of high quality prussia sabers with that mark. But no information about that company. Btw. the title "Hoflieferant" was not exclusive as it sounds. You could get that title on different ways. Mostley you pay for it. 

• Like 1

Quellbild anzeigen

M.Neumann was a supplier and producer of all kind of military stuff.

attachment.php?id=46578&s=29cd2ba5d141b85cc2e2310f7bdb6427

(Honor saber from the Kaiser for the Sultan. Design by Prof. Emil Doepler the younger)

It says: "Königlicher Hoflieferant (King supplier) M. Neumann founded 1848, Berlin W(est) french street. 24. First class goods from own fabrication. Uniforms, Militaria and ridding equipment."

(website: www.seitengewehr.de)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Below are the Thai numbers so that others can translate serial numbers.  Tip: cut and paste into a MS word document and then enlarge so as to read better.

๐ = 0. ๑ = 1. ๒ = 2. ๓ = 3. ๔ = 4. ๕ = 5. ๖ = 6. ๗ = 7. ๘ = 8. ๙ = 9.

Thai numerals

@Stegel Below is the blade & scabbard serial numbers for your sword.  This would indicate several thousand were in use.

Blade: ๓๓๕๑ = 3351.

Scabbard: ๓๔๑๑ = 3411.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..