Gendai tanto by Naohiro 4th (Kojima Hiroshi)

Marius

The tanto:

1. It is what people tend to call a "cleaver". It is absolutely massive in hand, very broad (motohaba of 3cm, that's 1.18').

2. It is in beautiful, classical polish which shows the steel and hamon very clearly. There is utsuri, as in most Kojima swords

3. It is unusual (one side has been polished down on purpose to see changes to hamoin) and ideal for study. 

3. It comes signed and with a sayagaki by Kojima-san, which describes its history in somewhat poetic words, AFAIR.

4. Measurements:

Nagasa: 24.5 cm (9.64')

Motohaba: 3 cm  (1.18')

Kasane: 6.5 mm (0.26')

4. Hamon and hada:
    Hamon is choji midare with tobiyaki (ura) and midare (omote).

Hada is tight koitame.

There is bo-utsuri.

I own a few swords made by Naohiro, including this interesting tanto. I have bought it to study the effect of polishing on steel activities, but also to analyse natural choji in comparison to designed choji (in this case I used a gorgeous Chounsai Tsunatoshi tanto as a benchmark for designed choji). Now it is is time to part with it. 

I would like to refer you to a webpage on which this tanto and its origin is described. It is a fascinating story:

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/effectofyakiire.html

My understanding is that this tanto had a blister on the omote, therefore Kojima san has decided to submit it to his experiment. And it was the omote side that has been polished down. A remnant is still visible, but does not detract from the beauty of the blade.

This tanto is yours for:

$1,000 

or

€885

(shipping and any charges are extra, payment schedule possible). Wire transfer in EUR or USD prefered.

Allow me also a few words about the maker of this tanto, Hiroshi Kojima, the 4th Naohiro...

I have known Kojima san for years and I regard him as one of the most open and helpful Japanese sword smiths. His only wish is to make swords and spread sword knowledge. He shares his sword knowledge willingly and teaches to focus on steel and its particles. He does not care about recognition, he plays down his own knowledge and his sword making skills in a way that reminds me of the best English traditions (those who know English gentlemen will know what I mean). He is not a Mukansa and will probably never be one - he simply does not care about it. He loves his work and that is sufficient for him. 

Kojima san is always keen to experiment - I own a sword by him that he has folded only three times and quenched/tempered without clay (it came out with an amazaing saka-choji hamon). 

Kojima san appreciates simple,  functional swords, even if they are no masterworks. His own swords are functional, too. He does not try to emulate any particular style, but his daito are usually tachi with a rather tight steel full of ji-nie, a flamboyant choji hamon and utsuri. If he makes a sword in the style of early koto, his steel is not so tight anymore. 

He is the last sword smith of his lineage, and I cannot imagine any student who would have the talent, patience and humility to go through a full apprenticeship at Naohiro's. 

Naohiro11a.JPG

Naohiro11b.JPG

Naohiro11c.JPG

Naohiro11d.JPG

Naohiro11e.JPG

Naohiro11f.JPG

Naohiro11g.JPG

Naohiro11h.JPG

Naohiro11i.JPG

Naohiro11j.JPG

Naohiro11k.JPG

Naohiro11l.JPG