Tanba no Kami Terukado

Mikaveli

So, I've just purchased my first 日本刀, forged by Tanba no Kami Terukado, an early-Edo period smith.

As he's my entry point into Japanese swords, I'd like to find out more about him, the blades he produced and (eventually) learn to compare / appraise his work in contrast with other smiths / periods.

This is purely amateur research for my own hobby use, I've got no commercial interests and won't be selling anything etc. Any help in corrections, further / primary sources and examples of his work would be greatly appreciated.

Considered as a "leading Mino smith" in "The Connoisseur's Book of Japanese Swords"
by Kokan Nagayama.

"He is listed as working in Mino 1658-1684. He was also considered one of the Zenjo smiths and listed as Seki-Kaji-Toryo ” master of all Seki smiths”. The Tegai influence is easily recognized within this work. "
- source: https://nihontoantiques.com/project/wakazashi-sword-fss-697/

Signatures 
Zenjou no Fujiwara Kanekado
丹波大掾藤原照門 (Tanba no Daijou Fujiwara Terukado)
丹波守藤原照門 (Tanba no Kami Fujiwara Terukado) 1659 on?

Together with a few other variations.

Active years
1658-84?

School
Yoshisada (Mino)

Ratings
Hawley's: 60 points
Toko Taikan: ¥2.8M
Fujishiro: "Jo Saku"
-source: https://nihontoclub.com/smiths/TER16

Notable owners
Isami Kondo (a Tokugawa Samurai, a member of the "Shinsengumi", later executed after capture).
- source: https://www.samuraimuseum.jp/shop/product/antique-Japanese-sword-katana-signed-by-terukado-nbthk-tokubetsu-hozon-certificate/

• 2 months later...

If "Tanba no Kami Terukado" is your entry point into the nihontō world, you are doing very well. I think many people just impulse buy the first "samurai sword" they see, not realizing many swords are fakes or forgeries, and also not realizing how important condition and quality are. I include myself in this group. I wish I had had the good sense to buy something as nice as a Terukado sword as my first sword. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, SteveM said:

If "Tanba no Kami Terukado" is your entry point into the nihontō world, you are doing very well. I think many people just impulse buy the first "samurai sword" they see, not realizing many swords are fakes or forgeries, and also not realizing how important condition and quality are. I include myself in this group. I wish I had had the good sense to buy something as nice as a Terukado sword as my first sword. 

Hey Steve Terukado is my second blade. Papered and signed.  It is a 54cm wakizashi. 

About fakes and forgeries, are eluding to people who buy from ebay or general off a whim. I belive if you buy from a reputable seller from Japan or USA, and it has hozon then you are on the right path. 

I have a funny feeling their is a particular seller in the UK whom I'm not going to mention,  that may have or have gotten away with selling fakes. 

For a price of around 4k upwards. 

The reason I suspect this is because they hardly ever mention important information about the blades their selling. 

Regards 

Hi Paz, I was alluding to the first poster, Mikaveli, who mentioned it was his first sword.

But for you, if Terukado is your second sword you are still doing extremely well, I reckon.

The trick now is to make sure your next sword is better than the previous one you bought. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveM said:

Hi Paz, I was alluding to the first poster, Mikaveli, who mentioned it was his first sword.

But for you, if Terukado is your second sword you are still doing extremely well, I reckon.

The trick now is to make sure your next sword is better than the previous one you bought. 

Thanks Steve. 

That means the next sword is going to be very expensive lol 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2022 at 3:30 PM, SteveM said:

Yes, first purchase - but with the help of forums like this as a guide (and an increasing library of recommended books). Still happy, although, in search of a companion for it now - expensive hobby!

One of the best things to happen, as a complete newbie prior to buying anything - was to find a sword being sold as "in need of a polish". Googling that topic led me to a trove of information, by serious collectors and probably saved an expensive mistake.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..