legitimate Generals sword

brannow

I thought I would share this legitimate Generals sword with the board.  It came from the Son of an army vet who was a part of the early occupation.  The son told me his father traded an elderly Japanese general a 10 lbs sack of sugar for it.  He didn't know the tassel denoted the rank until I told him.

Enjoy!

Bill Rannow
Mpls, MN

20220106_142220a.jpg

20220106_142406a.jpg

20220106_142632a.jpg

20220106_142530a.jpg

20220106_142447a.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

Yes,thanks for sharing.....Can’t expect to get paperwork with all war trophies...most have mine have oral history from veterans family etc.........Quality package like that from respected dealer...good enough for me...

Regards,

Paul...

Great find Bill !!

Personally i believe the story, as i remember my Mother telling me how BAD it was straight after the war, shortages were peaking in almost everything till after the clean up and economy rising again. The 10lbs of sugar would have been worth a small fortune at the time, it would get you other things in a barter deal and keep your family from starvation.... worth more than a sword which won't feed your famiy and would end up being confiscated eventually, leaving you with nothing! Just my opinion.

I'm with Steve and Marco, please show us more of the blade and smith details.

I have a Generals sword also, but it was surrendered in Malaya, and the British were a bit more exact in highlighting these things especially from surrender ceremonies.

here's the plaque on mine. The blade is an old Shinto mumei, but i have the note the general left with it.

Steve, i love reading your comments, great work!! sometimes they really make my day!

post b.jpg

• Like 3

These type 94 gunto were only carried by higher ranking officers.  They were not carried by lower rank officers.  I once bought a very nice Sokan Tanto with horimono from a vet.  He had befriended a family and gave them a sack of rice.  The tanto was a gesture of their appreciation.  No doubt it was their family treasure. 

Another story, several years ago I found an ubu tachi by Gojo Kuninaga that ended up going tokuju.  The story with that one was the guy who brought it back as a souvenir was a member of MacArthur staff.  I have no reason to doubt the story of the Vet or the story that the Gojo came from the estate of someone on Gen MacArthur's staff.  Those guys all got great swords to take home because they had Japanese liaison's.

Anyway here are a few more photos.  Hard to read but might be Sukemitsu.20220110_205930.thumb.jpg.1fde8ace7f094b8a81200c4040860b37.jpg

20220110_205528.jpg

20220110_205612.jpg

20220110_210406.jpg

20220110_210510.jpg

20220110_210146.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Bill, all officer ranks carried the Type 94 until the introduction of the Type 98. Though by 1945 it's likely the officers who survived since the 1930's and still carried a Type 94 would be a high rank by that point. There were also plenty of Generals that retired before & during WWII, leaving great condition Type 94 like yours intact. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..