Kai-Gunto, unfamiliar/ unexpected upon disassembly.please help with identification

Forte

Hi Richard!

The painted kanji are numbers "96" which often matched stamped numbers on the metal fittings.  They were used to keep all the custom fitted parts together during polish and assembly.

Someone will help with the smith's name.  I've righted the photo to make it easier to read.

11.jpeg

My guess is 俊治 (Toshiharu)

http://japaneseswordindex.com/oshigata/toshharu.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Hi Richard!

The painted kanji are numbers "96" which often matched stamped numbers on the metal fittings.  They were used to keep all the custom fitted parts together during polish and assembly.

Someone will help with the smith's name.  I've righted the photo to make it easier to read.

11.jpeg

D453890B-E81B-47AF-A1FA-342DDFF3396C.thumb.jpeg.99dbd60b989d781290b3d613b1b196e0.jpeg

7 hours ago, Forte said:

Thank you. 

I was expecting the Toyokawa arsenal / anchor stamp / Tenshozan Forge.

A fun, interesting surprise.

Yes, the kaigunto seem to have a slight majority of their blades with Toyokawa, but there are quite a few with blades from everywhere else.  We recently discovered one with a Mantetsu blade in it! 

• Like 1

Thank you again, much knowledge.

i see his name on the compilations of Smith’s. Possibly from Seki? 

I have taken over 100 photos as each part is interesting. 

Wondering now on why the latch on this one? Four indents also. Corresponding photos 

D57967D2-BA16-4CF2-BB14-A7F0097E1F60.jpeg

Some kaigunto were fitted with latches, but most do not use them.  We recently learned there were 1,000-1,200 active sword shops - both sword shops and antique stores - so as you can imagine, there was a bit of variation in fittings and styles.

The indentions are an unknown as well.  I've never seen them done this way.  Normally they will be a chisled line or hash mark.  It could be anything from a smith tracking his quota, to a fitting shop mark, to a polisher's mark.  Completely unknown though.  Sometimes the fittings have numbers that match the hash marks, but like yours, with a painted number, the reason doesn't seem to have a fitting shop purpose.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..