Two Wakizashi from a friends estate

Promo

Unfortunately prior to Christmas a very dear friend of mine passed away. He was a (retired) gunsmith, the most honest person I had ever encountered in this business. I'm deeply missing him. For what he meant to me I told his son if I can be of any assistance he should ask me. While the family now cleared his workplace where he still drove nearly every day for a few hours just to be kept busy they called me and asked me if I can take a look at various items. Among the items that turned up were two Japanese Wakizashi, both in Koshirae. They are looking to sell these items and I know they surely will not be worth a lot, but I would appreciate any input on them.

The first blade is the "longer" wakizashi with an overall blade length of 78,8 cm, cutting length 63,4 cm. It becomes noticeable thinner towards the kissaki (many previous polishes?). The Koshirae is quite unusual in it seems that nearly everything is wrapped in something that almost looks like snake or crocodile skin, including the Tsuba. Menuki appears to be an octopus? There is a signature on the nakago which unfortunately quite obviously has been rather crudely got cleaned. The signature is not very strong, so having a tough time with it.

I would appreciate input on this blade, especially on what the signature reads (plus any potential information on the maker), to approx. when this blade dates and (more for personal interest) what the Koshirae is wrapped in, since I cannot recall seeing one like this before. Finally, any input on its value would also be appreciated.

Waki1_01.jpg

Waki1_02.jpg

Waki1_03.jpg

Waki1_04.jpg

Waki1_05.jpg

Waki1_06.jpg

Waki1_07.jpg

To help keep separated another post for the second blade, also a Wakizashi. It is remarkable shorter than the first one at 49,6 cm total length and 37,4 cm cutting length. It is not signed. The Koshirae is pretty simple (though I really LOVE that duotone Habaki! Very cool combination which I had not seen before). Please forgive me the cat hair on the kissaki area, noticed it after the pics were taken.

Same question on this one, but since unsigned of course I would appreciate any guesses on period and maker as well as on potential value and simply anything else you could tell me on it.

Thanks!

Waki2_01.jpg

Waki2_02.jpg

Waki2_03.jpg

Waki2_04.jpg

Waki2_05.jpg

Waki2_06.jpg

Waki2_07.jpg

If the nagasa is 63.4, then the first blade is firmly in the katana category. With three mekugi-ana, it was likely much longer than it is currently, I'd hazard and say it was around 28" originally. Due to that, it is probably a koto or older shinto blade. This is assuming that the lowest mekugi-ana is the original, bit hard to tell from photos. The signature, gimei or not, will help to ascertain its age. A shame its been cleaned! If the signature is good, it MIGHT be worth having the nakago repatinated by a professional and the blade polished. Can you see any activity in the metal? Any hint of hamon or intact boshi?

The second blade is a very stout-looking blade. I'd hazard a guess and say around 1700-1800's based on the sugata and color of the nakago's patina. Being mumei, unless there's some nice activity that is visible or distinguishing features that point to a famous school or smith, it is probably not financially sound to have restored. But opinions are what they are, and only a togishi's opinion of the blade really matters.

I will be interested in seeing what the others say about the first blade, the rayskin theme is definitely eye-catching to say the least!

So the first blade isn‘t a Wakizashi but a short Katana in Tachi mounts.. seems I got it as much wrong as possible! Thanks for clearing this. And special shout-out to @Ray Singer and his incredible deciphering skills! If I found the correct one it appears there were two (father and son) using this name, is the first generation the correct one that I had identified?

Prior going to bed I wiped down the koshirae of both with oil soaked clothing. Now they look much better, first one now is black with a light brown touch.

Just did the better pictures of the blade, this time with the camera and not with the mobile. They do it more justice. Notice I slided the front swivel ring on the scabbard a bit back in the second picture, to show it isn't sitting on the retaining ring as it should be. I hope this allows to give a better judgement of the blade.

Katana_01.jpg

Katana_02.jpg

Katana_03.jpg

Katana_04.jpg

Katana_05.jpg

Katana_06.jpg

Katana_07.jpg

Katana_08.jpg

Katana_09.jpg

Katana_10.jpg

Katana_11.jpg

Katana_12.jpg

Edited by Promo
Pictures added
  • Like 2

Georg,

if you look at the signature of the KATANA, you will see that it faces outward when worn edge up. That is a KATANA MEI, and TACHI are signed the other way. 

It is difficult to give a value guess, as this depends on the condition and the market. The rarity of this item may play a role as well. If you succeed to find the right person who is just very fond of this KOSHIRAE, you may sell it at a considerably higher price. In most cases the blade makes most of the overall value, so in this case the damaged NAKAGO has a negative effect. Please take into account that a professional polish will cost roughly about 2.500.-- on the lower end, and a potential buyer will certainly have to calculate this.

Generally, you will have to study the market and find comparable items to get an idea of the actual value. I think that a fast sale may bring you about € 2.500.-- or a bit more, if you are lucky.

• Like 2

@ROKUJURO thanks for the clarification - that is what I know and had understood, but the previous post by @PNSSHOGUN confused me for him calling it a Tachi. Thank you for naming a number btw, does this one refer to both or only the Katana? Adding in the costs of a polish and considering the cleaned nakago it is way more than I thought and makes me wonder if the polished blade afterwards would indeed have this value.

@Alex A thanks for the compliment. Having had to professionally picture firearms for literature provided me with enough experience to do advanced pictures. But the highly glossy and silver finish of blades is a tough new challenge, I'm not very pleased so far with my results.

Georg, with looking at the koshirae totally missed the blade.

Looking at what Ray pointed out earlier, can you make out the hamon at all ?, Choji ?

Nakago might be messed with but could be improved.

Ishido blades in Choji, if in good polish can be also really appealing.

2 hours ago, Promo said:

@ROKUJURO ......calling it a Tachi. Thank you for naming a number btw, does this one refer to both or only the Katana? Adding in the costs of a polish and considering the cleaned nakago it is way more than I thought and makes me wonder if the polished blade afterwards would indeed have this value....

Georg,

naming it a TACHI isn't wrong as the KOSHIRAE makes it appear as TACHI.
My sales value guess is for the KATANA only, but in fact you have to add quite a sum to the polish costs for additional expenses. Usually a traditional polish will require a new HABAKI and a SHIRA SAYA which will add another € 1.000.-- (quite roughly as there is a wide span of quality and artistic execution).

I am unable to say firmly that the whole item is (or is not) worth all that; a serious collector or a specialized museum (not only in Japan) might be interested and capable to buy it at a higher price than we see it now in the actual condition. But for all sales we encounter the same problem: Finding the right customer, and for those specific merchandises, you have to look worldwide.    

Having personal experience with costs for Polish, Habaki and Shirasaya I do know approx. costs, and I'm afraid these are around € 2000 for a Katana (/Tachi, since it seems it may be called either), if done in Japan. And while in Japan one would also get it papered, so another € 500 atop. So the costs for the restoration and papering of the blade only will already be at € 2500 - and I don't know if Koshirae should be sent along too for restoration, since it should afterwards still fit the blade, plus the wrapping has some minor damage so that it maybe should be restored as well. I can deduct this from the value of a fully restored blade, but I honestly do not know how much it would be worth.

16 hours ago, Geraint said:

Dear Georg.

Just noticed this one for your comparison.   http://www.sanmei.com/contents/media/T246211_S1984_PUP_E.html

Very similar koshirae.

All  the best.

That one is interesting in that the Tsuba is also fully leather covered whereas the one from @PNSSHOGUNs link isn't. Plus it also comes with TH papers for the Koshirae (... and the blade is a Juyo blade, wow). I really wonder how the blade would look like back in polish.

It would be cool to see a "window' opened up, to see what was what.

There appears to be some rather deep rust pits on both sides of the blade and tip, could cause serious issues if a polish was attempted, but maybe the far away pictures just make them look worse than they are????

Mark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..