Help with translation and thoughts on authentic signature

livinginslo

Hello and I thank this message board and the folks here for any assistance in identifying a sword I have and if it is probably a false signature or if it is authentis in fact an authentic? I believe it to be an older hand forged Japanese samurai sword.  Is it signed Tamba no Kami Yoshimichi?  Is this is the name of a famous swordsmith? I realize that there re probably more fakes than real swords for this signature. I am curious on the thoughts of those here with experience in this matter. I thank you! Measures 24" in length.IMG_0076.thumb.JPG.cbfe925be48b8db5012c08a232308161.JPG 

IMG_0075 (1).jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

Hi Chris,

Without having cracked a book I vote fake signature. This looks like it was cut with a Dremel (rotary) tool, not with a chisel. Even without the telltale rotary marks, the mei is clumsy, nothing like those of a group who had quite fluid signatures. You will have no trouble finding true signatures online and you will easily see the difference.

Grey

• Like 1

Dear Chris.

First off, this is a Japanese sword as opposed to a reproduction.  You say 24" length, does that include the tang, the nakago?  If so then it is a wakizashi, a katana if 24" from tip to the notch where the nakago starts.

I can quite see why Grey suggests the Dremel as the picture does suggest that however having the luxury of a touch screen when I zoom in a little I would have to respectfully disagree and say that this has been cut with a chisel but the guy sure used a lot of hammer blows!

None of this confirms your sword as a genuine mei by one of the many smiths who signed this way, bear in mind that there are quite  few generations.  Some members have devoted quite a lot of study time to this school and will be able to offer an informed opinion.  Meanwhile can we have an overall shot of the entire blade please?

All the best.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..