Magnificent Aka-Raku Chawan by Hon'ami Sokyu

sabi

Ceramics seem to be selling better than tsuba lately, so here's another one for our members to snatch up.

On offer today is a truly wonderful teabowl - Raku in general is flooded with mediocre pieces, and Aka-Raku in my opinion more so than its black counterparts.  Many are a mess with off forms and muddled glazing that lacks the vision to create anything resembling a landscape.  None of that here.  

This chawan measures 13.2 x 9.3cm, a full bloom size that honors its shape and the origins of the style, of whick Koetsu is the undisputed champion. The hand built form instantly melts into the hands and is one of my favorites to drink tea from.  There's good reason for the saying "Ichi Raku", and it's an equal delight throughout the preparation stage. The low fired body characteristic of Raku produces a soft tone against the chasen while whisking, like a distant breeze in the pines. 

Of course it looks just as good on a shelf if that's your thing.  The carburized areas have the depth of a galaxy and glow even in low light. The accent on the foot ring presents in a stunning, Enso like fashion on the interior which is a sublime touch.

Condition is nearly perfect for its age, with only a couple small, shallow chips to note on the inside edge. Given Raku's fragile nature, these could have been there since the bowl was fired and they do not detract from the visual beauty or usability of the piece. Quite the opposite in my opinion. Its original signed box is also included and is in equally great shape.

Price is $250 shipped Worldwide. And like the other ceramics I've listed here, I challenge you to find a comparable piece for anywhere close to that. 

Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional pics.  Thanks for looking! 👺🙏🍵

IMG_20220106_160517261~2.jpg

IMG_20220106_160331116~2.jpg

IMG_20220106_160254673~2.jpg

IMG_20220106_160224293~2.jpg

IMG_20220106_160206777~2.jpg

• Like 5

Hi

i am sorry for the delay in response. 
can you please pm me?  I have removed messages from my inbox. Please pm me your PayPal and I will pay immediately. Again I apologize for my delay in response. Brian also thanks for your help. 

best regards 

jamie 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jamie said:

Hi

i am sorry for the delay in response. 
can you please pm me?  I have removed messages from my inbox. Please pm me your PayPal and I will pay immediately. Again I apologize for my delay in response. Brian also thanks for your help. 

best regards 

jamie 

No worries Jamie! I'm still having issues PMing you, just says "Jamie cannot receive messages". All good, please email me at motorsport226@gmail.com and we'll get it squared away 👺🙏

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..