I took some better pictures of my sword, any advice on what it is would be appreciated

Jon

This is a hagire  at very high magnification x12 to x20. Its not visible to the eye at all and is only 1.2 mm long, the temper line at that point is about 6 mm, so if it’s not even a quarter of the temper line, therefore can it be polished out ?. It really only is that long as I’ve magnified so much.

0233DA34-6718-40A4-9976-1AC0429500FB.jpeg

A0D6B232-7148-496F-A0AC-85F741CBADD8.jpeg

E30B65AB-1564-4E17-9364-7E6F03BEBE7A.jpeg

FF909578-BC41-41CF-A7A3-F94CAE2F8C42.jpeg

Chances are, if there is a hagire, it runs deeper than you can see. However, this is a question best left to be answered by a togishi. If it is not all the way through, I've heard hagire can be polished out.... but it requires a lot of metal to be removed. Sometimes, more than what is economical or practical for the blade.

The blade also has quite a few bites already taken out of the cutting edge, so this one might be very expensive to have polished and polish may yet reveal more hagire.

• Like 1

The blade appears to be machi-okure (the habaki has been moved up on the blade) and honestly it looks like someone's grandkids got ahold of the poor thing and treated it like a toy as it has all the characteristic signs of that kind of abuse.

• Like 2

Hi Chris 

it came for a aunt who’s dad was an American soldier in WW11, she spent a lot of time in the states and all over the place, bringing it back with her. It’s been in that condition since and been hanging on a wall, since I inherited it 6 months ago I’ve regularly oiled the blade and will see if one of the better U.K. polishers can give it some love.  I know it’s unlikely to be economic but the blade was free so I don’t mind spending a reasonable amount to bring back a bit of its glory and make it a better study piece ( at the moment it’s a study in how not to treat a Japanese sword).

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..