Mei help

Markdd

Still trying to work out these Mei things don't think I have enough time left to lean at my age,

This sword is described as Tanba No Kami Yoshimichi ? but I am confused by the Kami Kanji as from what I was reading this part is done like the Osaka branch[were the dot stroke points straight down] and yet this sword has a Kiku mon like only the Kyoto branch used.

Thanks Mark

mis 2.jpg

mis 2.jpg

16 minutes ago, SteveM said:

Hint: the answer is already in the first post. I suspect the OP already knows what the mei is. 

Oh man. I completely missed that. At least I got the practice! I guess they are referencing this page on the Japanese sword index: http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/yoshmich.htm

That is, unfortunately don't know nearly enough to make any assessment of the directly the "dot" is pointing.

This is a good mei to learn because there were many generations who used the exact same mei, plus there are still a lot of good, healthy swords from this group, so if you can learn to read it (the first two kanji are quite distinct) you will be able to recognize it on many swords. 

Just looking at some other examples on the internet, I can see the 4th and 5th generation inscribed 守 with a fairly vertical stroke, so it's good not to shut the doors too tightly on any possibility. With a Yoshimichi blade, the hamon should be very distinct, and will be an excellent indicator of authenticity. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..